Wii component quality across console revisions

I have a question and I wonder if anyone would be willing to shed any light on this?

As I'm sure you people know, the Wii's component image quality is not too great. I've been emailing back and forth about this with the owner of this site:

http://retrorgb.com

He seems like a decent guy and his site is quite comprehensive regarding image quality comparisons between consoles etc.

Anyway, he says he's sure that he's seen 4 or 5 Wiis that have a superior component image quality to other Wiis. The Wiis that he's seen that have the (supposedly) better image are all black NTSC RVL-101 (non 'cube compatible) Wiis. I'm very interested in this and would really like to get to the bottom of it - so I have started to buy a few of the consoles to test.

I've tried a PAL RVL-101 Wii against the original PAL RVL-001 and there was absolutely no difference in image quality. I've ordered a US NTSC RVL-101 to test against the PAL Wiis and I would like to test more NTSC Wiis as well.

I was wondering if anyone might any more in depth information as to exactly which hardware revisions might have this 'upgrade' in image quality?

Thanks very much :)

Back