Wii 480p seems very lackluster :/

Tchay

Frequent Poster
As one of the first portablizers to start using progressive scan, I'm a major advocate of 480p for the gamecube and love collecting those expensive component cables. The sharp picture quality is IMMEDIATELY noticeable. I love it.

So, naturally, I had to get a component cable for the wii (30 bucks at BestBuy), to test it out. I changed the settings on the wii to display 480p and plugged in the component cable.......

Wii_component_cable.jpg

Wow, was I disappointed. First off, I was using a 46" HD TV (insignia) that looks wonderful in its own right. I could not notice ANY difference between composite and component on the wii for Skyward Sword, DK Returns, Wii Play, or Mario Galaxy 1 or 2. The Wii menu also appeared to look the same :/

Has anyone else had a better/different experience with 480p on the Wii? Did you have to tweak any settings on your actual TV? Pretty sure mine was a typical 16:9 ratio.

I've experienced a very notable difference in the quality of colors going from composite to component, not to mention that you no longer see the effects of interlacing.

I'm still very curious about you getting black bars on your TV in-game, because it doesn't make sense to me.

here's what you should be able to expect:

edit: because I love you, Tchay, I did a little research. http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/wii/ ... i_worth_it

the last paragraph of post 19 might explain things a bit.

On my Wii it would not always save the 480p setting. It would revert back to 480i quite often. I have no idea why ??

Huge difference on my 40" HDTV using the official Nintendo component cables.

Yep, there is a WORLD of difference. I have a Wii with component cables hooked up in my living room, and one with just composite hooked up in my den. I can hardly stand to play the one in the den. The WiiU's HDMI blows them both away though. ;)

Any games that stand out? Not sure why the games I tried seemed the same as composite. And I know the cable works (its official) because I can switch to progressive scan on gamecube cames.

Probably worth mentioning that compared to my 360 and PC, the Wii generally tends to look like absolute flax imo.

I really wish they'd of shipped the Wii with HDMI, even if the games are 480p only.

if u want play in 1080 P in your pc or your tv u can downlaod the emulator dolphin ,he work very fine for wii and gc games , i use it for ssbb

Yeah you can, but then again i'd rather I used my actual Wii to play games, for the reason of.. well my Wii is connected to my nice, bigger than my actual monitor TV.

I'm just saying, the 480p on Wii over Component = bleh.

Still, it's better than RGB.

What kind of TV are you using Tchay? If your using a standard def TV its going to be harder (but not impossible) to tell the difference. If you're on a relatively modern flatscreen, I dunno what to tell you. The difference should be pretty obvious.

I'd take some pics, but it just wont capture the real difference you experience in picture quality firsthand.

Ashen said:
Yep, there is a WORLD of difference. I have a Wii with component cables hooked up in my living room, and one with just composite hooked up in my den. I can hardly stand to play the one in the den. The WiiU's HDMI blows them both away though. ;)
You sure playing a Wii game on Wii U makes that big of a difference? Because my brother brought his Wii U over to my house and I was actually curious about that exact scenario. So we hooked his Wii U up to my TV via HDMI while my Wii was still hooked up via Component. Played Skyward Sword on both of them, got both machines showing the same picture, and switched inputs to go back and forth between the two, and we could not see a difference. Are there any Wii U settings that are needed to get the best out of it?

I also wonder how much of the variance is up to the specific TV, since they'll have their own differences in how well they upscale, and how well they handle analog component versus how well they handle digital HDMI.

Tchay said:
Any games that stand out? Not sure why the games I tried seemed the same as composite. And I know the cable works (its official) because I can switch to progressive scan on gamecube cames.

Dumb question, but are you sure you have enhanced definition or whatever turned on in the Wii settings?

Another dumb question pertaining to your black-bar conundrum, but did you say your screen was 4::3: and set to widescreen (in chat)?

grossaffe said:
Ashen said:
You sure playing a Wii game on Wii U makes that big of a difference? Because my brother brought his Wii U over to my house and I was actually curious about that exact scenario. So we hooked his Wii U up to my TV via HDMI while my Wii was still hooked up via Component. Played Skyward Sword on both of them, got both machines showing the same picture, and switched inputs to go back and forth between the two, and we could not see a difference. Are there any Wii U settings that are needed to get the best out of it?

I also wonder how much of the variance is up to the specific TV, since they'll have their own differences in how well they upscale, and how well they handle analog component versus how well they handle digital HDMI.

It was just a general observation, not a comparison of Wii games. As far as I know, the WiiU doesn't do anything to improve the visual quality of regular Wii games. :/

Looking at NSMB-U on my TV compared to NSMB-Wii there is a HUGE difference. Thats all I was saying.

Ashen said:
grossaffe said:
Ashen said:

It was just a general observation, not a comparison of Wii games. As far as I know, the WiiU doesn't do anything to improve the visual quality of regular Wii games. :/

Looking at NSMB-U on my TV compared to NSMB-Wii there is a HUGE difference. Thats all I was saying.
Oh, well I figured that went without saying.

@zero, yes I switched it to 480p in the Wii settings. I don't think I could get the Progressive Scan option in gamecube games without switching to 480p in the Wii settings.

@prog, I'm pretty sure my HD TV is widescreen.

The WiiU is supposed to be able to upscale Wii games, but I don't think Nintendo has implemented that yet. IGN did a comparison video and it seemed like a joke, because both screens were identical.

On another note! High end computers can run Dolphin and upscale wii games to much much higher than 480p (1080p and beyond). Could you then hook this upscaled version to your HD TV? But the resolution won't work past 1080p am I correct?

You can hook up a PC running dolphin to an HDTV, yes. And I think you can set the internal resolution higher than your actual resolution, pretty sure it's called downsampling.

Tchay said:
I don't think I could get the Progressive Scan option in gamecube games without switching to 480p in the Wii settings.
You can. When I moved my Wii to my SDTV, I kept the component cable to free up inputs and for better color or something. I think I still get prompted for progressive scan because the Gamecube mode is separate from the actual OS.

Well, in any case, I set the wii to 480p. Now Hailrazer said it sometimes switches back to 480i so I'll have to check on that.

Does your TV tell you what the input resolution is (480i, 480p, 1080p, etc)? Some TVs will display it when you switch through the inputs or in the menu, so you can tell for sure what the Wii is outputting.

Back