Which DMG backlight is king?

GohanX

Newb
I was doing some research on frontlighting a GBC the other day, and I stumbled upon the stupidly simply method of fixing the glorious Gameboy brick that has never quite worked right since around 1990 or so. I cleaned the crud off of it and it's actually in really good shape! So what do I want to do with it? Mod the heck out of it!

I've read pretty much every thread on here and every set of instructions I could find on the net, and it seems pretty simple compared to the last couple of projects I've done. What I want to do is a biverted backlight, and probably a pro sound mod just for the heck of it, and maybe refurbish the buttons to make it feel like new again.

So my question is this: I've read lots of nice things about the various backlight kits you can get on the net, and seen more pictures and Youtube videos than I can count. However, I haven't read a whole lot of comparisons, as some of the comparisons I've seen are outdated. Some people like Nonfinite kits, some like Projectgameboy kits, others use something else. Is there any one kit that is obviously better than the rest? Or does it not really matter a whole lot since they are all pretty much the same? I just want to be able to see the Gameboy in my dimly lit living room with a nice evenly lit B&W screen.

Glad to see you've found the place!

Again, I'm a fan of the Nonfinite kits, especially if you plan on doing a biversion.

Apeflax's. Seen and installed both in person. Looks so good in a pocket, and goes in easier than Nonfinite. Better contrast. Apeflax's regular backlight looks better than Nonfinite biverted.

Ended up ordering the Nonfinite kit, I'm very happy with how it turned out!

attachment.php

I didn't solve the "which backlight is king" question, but I got a sweet DMG out of it!

I see you biverted that. Good choice with the white backlight.

Ampersand said:
Apeflax's regular backlight looks better than Nonfinite biverted.

Don't you love physical impossibilities?

Back