What is the Easiest way to Check if your Board still Works?

Katai

Hi, I have a board with no connections on it and I want to see if its still operational. It does not have the power adapter on the board. How can I achieve this?

- Katai

Image:
9da7e8b7-f11a-467c-b683-4c675f0beab5_zpsa9668cc8.jpg

Re: What is the Easiest way to Check if your Board still Wor

The only way to test it is to reconnect everything... You can use batterie for power and the screen of your choice, and you'll have to resolder the game port... So you can see the game working on a screen!

supersonic_32 said:
The only way to test it is to reconnect everything... You can use batterie for power and the screen of your choice, and you'll have to resolder the game port... So you can see the game working on a screen!

I have the led on the board. I was thinking of using a 12vDC modem adapter with a stepdown regulator.

844fa168-094a-4e1f-a513-f99072099cd3_zps3e102a89.jpg

But I have no idea how to wire it up. Any help?

You have six pins on the motherboard where there is usually the power connector, connect the pack to the line written 12v, connect the output from the regulator to the 3.3v line and the ground to any ground point on the board. The real problem is that if the led works doesn't mean the console works, the led is on 3.3v but what if the 12v doesn't works? You will not know, like I said you have to put a game on a screen to be sure!

supersonic_32 said:
You have six pins on the motherboard where there is usually the power connector, connect the pack to the line written 12v, connect the output from the regulator to the 3.3v line and the ground to any ground point on the board. The real problem is that if the led works doesn't mean the console works, the led is on 3.3v but what if the 12v doesn't works? You will not know, like I said you have to put a game on a screen to be sure!

Thanks. I will do that tonight. I was just uncertain how to check
+1

supersonic_32 said:

I soldered the power supply to the motherboard but when I give it power nothing happens. [No LED]
am I not getting enough Amps?

Edit: The motherboard also does not have a switch could it be that?

Yeah I just saw on your pic that you removed it, look at that pic:

7ph2.jpg

on the bottom left of the board there is usually a power switch. When you remove it you have to solder the 8 pins by pair:

1-2
3-4
5-6
7-8

than it will always be powered on!

Also, does your regulator output 3.3v? Check it with a multimeter, otherwise your n64 will be fried. (from 3.25v to 3.35v should still works fine).

What do you want to cheat? you already have your step down regulator so why by passing it?

I don't have the resistors to make it 3.3v. Also this regulator also has a 5v output I want to use for a screen. Seems like 2 birds with 1 stone to me.

I don't have the resistors to make it 3.3v. Also this regulator also has a 5v output I want to use for a screen. Seems like 2 birds with 1 stone to me.

Ok, so yeah I imagine you can do it, no matter what you use, if you have a 3.3v stable output it will works. But you seriously better buy some resistances and a 7.4 batterie instead of a 12v one, or if you just want to test the board, buy some resistances and plug it straight to your tv.

Back