WASP/Swiss Issue

chubylord

hey guys. so recently I've wired up my megadrive v5, and had problems booting into Swiss. The first time around, I would get into the Swiss menu through the rotating gamecube menu. In the Swiss menu, I would select the Wiikey option and it would flash "init Wiikey" for a second -- then go back to the menu. I could select it as many times as I wanted but nothing would happen. Then, after experiencing that for about a day of testing it (never successfully getting past that), I reformatted my SD card, and tried with a new card. now, I just get stuck on "init Wiikey". I can't go back, or even select it in the first place, as is shown in the video below. I have heard hot-swapping as a suggestion to try, but have no idea what that is in this context. any help would be greatly appreciated. here are links to videos I made of both the first and current circumstances:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofpQErnPK_I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbSK7JrIH3M

When in doubt resolder, but I'd wait until you try the stuff that people after me are gonna tell you first.

Try reseating all the FFC cables perfectly, try using different FFC cables, check the continuity of the FFC cables to ensure they aren't broken. When it's stuck at Init Wiikey Fusion, is the Wasp LED solid blue? And does it turn off when you press the A button? If so, you must rewire, that happened to me once. But megalomaniac would probably have a better idea of what's going on.

Yes, it is solid blue, but nothing changes if I press the A button. I've tried reseating the FFC cables and tried new ones.

90% of the time you just need to resolder. And if that doesn't work, run wires between the megadrive and board instead of soldering directly to it.

2nd video link @23 seconds...
you see the LED is still lit? this was caused by a failed read and WKF/WASP did not let go of strobe signal back to GC mainboard.....this causes a small lockup like you see in the form of "init Wiikey Fusion."
Swiss performs a lot of sequences to start up WKF/WASP, detecting the card, reading if its fat formatted, reading the contents of the card, parsing card parameters (used / free) and parsing banners and title information + some more functions im sure i left out..

what is happening in the video is a small bug with WKF/WASP...
this bug was also duplicated and verified to happen with official firmware too...
only some WKF/WASP are affected...
some work perfect then develop this bug...
and its nothing to do with any component on the WKF/WASP PCB either...
its something within the FPGA itself..

in your case this problem has nothing to do with connectivity, soldering, card format, etc etc...
dont worry about the WASP not reading the card at this point...continue with your portable build and by the time you are done maybe a new version of swiss will be released to address this issue and maybe even a "swiss_recovery.iso" to replace the old 1.2 recovery method...
this should immediately address the issue...

...i would make a video of all this but it might be long and i dont know how many people have an attention span for details...just continue with your build for now...

Back