Urgent: How to unregister Spore

J.D

No Stranger To Love
Whoops, sold registered Spore on eBay.

Don't want to lose money.

What do I do?

If you bought Release spore, Due to DRM, The disc can only be used around 3 times.

So if you've installed and uninstalled, and reinstalled more than 3 times, its usually fluxed

I thought you couldn't remove drm on early spore releases, which is exactly what I have ;-;
I know that they do have securom uninstallers, I think I might still have mine.

This thread is why I refuse to buy games that use SuckuROM for "copy protection." Copy protection... yeah, right. More like purchase prevention.

What's so bad about SecuROM? I've heard some stories and I know it's hated, but what does it actually do that's so bad? Install rootkits? Shred files? *Can'tSayThisOnTV* up your OS?

XCVG said:
What's so bad about SecuROM? I've heard some stories and I know it's hated, but what does it actually do that's so bad? Install rootkits?

Yep, more or less.

It installs itself without your consent or even your knowledge; that makes it malware. In addition, there's never any mention of the software being included on the case itself; I've only ever seen it in the manual, which means you had to have already paid for the game before you were informed of it. Very slimy. Then it phones home with information it collects from your computer -- no one knows what kind of information, but it most likely invades your privacy in order to determine you're not trying to pirate games.

It has been known to prevent the operation of legitimate software that it determines can be used for copying games, like Nero, Daemon Tools, etc, no matter what you actually do with the software. It's also been known, in some instances, to permanently disable your DVD drive if it perceives it as a threat. And I mean permanently -- I've heard of people who have installed multiple DVD burners in their desktops and each one ends up unusable, even when moved to a new machine without SuckuROM present.

This is why I will never buy a game that uses SuckuROM. If I do, I'm sending a message to the companies that use it that it's okay for them to include such malicious software. It's not. And you know what's funny? It doesn't stop piracy. At all. All it does is cause legitimate consumers to not pay for the game and instead pirate it as the pirated version will give them no hassle. Think of it this way: If you were given the choice between paying for a game or downloading the exact same game for free, and the free version won't give you any of the headaches the version you have to pay for would, who, in their right mind, would pay for that game? Why would you? However, I'm not the pirating type, so if I can find an alternative to both, I'll take it. Hence, I'm buying Mass Effect on Steam, where it doesn't have any of this SuckuROM bullflax.

Is there a way to tell if you have SecuROM on your system? And I see your point about piracy. Irony right there, but predictable.

Back