The Stream

Tchay

Frequent Poster
http://gear.ign.com/articles/116/1163325p1.html

"Like the Xbox 360, the system's CPU will be a custom-built triple-core IBM PowerPC chipset, but the clocking speeds will be faster" - IGN

Controller will have similarities to the gamecube but with an integrated single touch screen.

The name "stream" is being considered by Nintendo. Obviously their idea is to present the idea of "streaming" games from the console to the user's controller for even more gaming experience and co-op interaction.

discusssssssssssssszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Honestly, that topic is dead and was more filled with debate than anything. A new topic might be a good idea.

Well, on par with the 360 which I thought was close to equal to the PS3, other than the CPU.
PS3 ports just aren't optimized, doesn't mean the hardware isn't as powerful as the 360.
Tchay said:
According to IGN sources, the Wii successor, dubbed "Project Cafe" will be more powerful than the PS3, on par with the 360

That doesnt make any sense, the PS3 is more powerful than the 360. everywhere else has stated more powerful than both.

Bush said:
That doesnt make any sense, the PS3 is more powerful than the 360. everywhere else has stated more powerful than both.
Yeah, that's what I thought.

I have some faith in graphics being way better. The Ps3 uses an Nvidia 9400. This is supposedly using an ATi HD 4xxx card. The higher end models of those haul ass today.

I think you incorrectly interpreted the reports. It has a similar CPU to the 360 with a triple-core PPC processor, but its supposed to be set at a much higher clocking frequency. As for the GPU, that's where it blows it away. The 360 is based on the ati r500 series. the specific chip is the Radeon X1950 GT. The Stream's GPU is rumored to be based on the r700 series. I compared benchmarks between the two GPUs and found the Stream's to be in the realm of 4 times the speed.

grossaffe said:
I think you incorrectly interpreted the reports. It has a similar CPU to the 360 with a triple-core PPC processor, but its supposed to be set at a much higher clocking frequency. As for the GPU, that's where it blows it away. The 360 is based on the ati r500 series. the specific chip is the Radeon X1950 GT. The Stream's GPU is rumored to be based on the r700 series. I compared benchmarks between the two GPUs and found the Stream's to be in the realm of 4 times the speed.

:neutral2: no I said the same thing "on par with the 360, but with faster clock speeds"

Similar CPU to 360 means on par in my mind. And 4x the speed would be a faster clock speed. I just didn't include any details on the actual chips and such.

And IGN seemed to be saying it would be more powerful than the 360 because of clock speeds (I'll admit I know nothing about the workings of processors tho).

That's like saying all dual core x86-64 CPUs are "on par" with each other. There is quite a big difference

Zero said:
That's like saying all dual core x86-64 CPUs are "on par" with each other. There is quite a big difference
Exactly. They're both based on the PPC architecture, and both tri-core, but we don't know the implementation or clock-speed. And the mention of 4 times the speed was not in referencing CPU clock speed, but rather the actual performance of the GPU based on a benchmark.

grossaffe said:
Zero said:
Exactly. They're both based on the PPC architecture, and both tri-core, but we don't know the implementation or clock-speed. And the mention of 4 times the speed was not in referencing CPU clock speed, but rather the actual performance of the GPU based on a benchmark.

well okay. like i said, i know nothing about how processors work. I was honestly just trying to repeat what IGN said, not even interpret any the article.

here, lol this is allll i was trying to say "Like the Xbox 360, the system's CPU will be a custom-built triple-core IBM PowerPC chipset, but the clocking speeds will be faster" - IGN.

Okay everyone gets it now. Let's move on. What do you guys feel about the use of the controller's screen as the DS's touch screen? I think it would be great for menus and whatnot, particularly local multiplayer, that way your menu woudnt hog the screen if you are doing co-op for instance.

Unless Nintendo works some kind of miracle, a controller with a screen built into it will be expensive as Heck for me, the consumer, to buy. They better either somehow keep it on par with the cost of controllers for competing systems or make it completely indestructible if I have to drop a bunch of money on one. Both would be awesome.

Sounds expensive, but at least it's reasonably powerful. Still, I have a feeling that it will go the same way as the last generation. I'm just not interested in what Nintendo has to offer. In fact, I'm not really that into consoles anymore. I was really excited when I first got my 360, but I quickly realized I was better off with my PC. Now I never touch any of my consoles. That doesn't keep my from buying stuff, though. I'm going to build a Uzebox clone sometime soon.

The controller is starting to sound alot like the wingman/wavebird, except it's a WVI and has a touchscreen(?)

EDIT:
streamcon.png

and such

Back