the parts of the DVD drive

Reaper

I am having trouble with the DVD drive and figuring out what pieces are what, i know there function but i dont know what chips are what

i know the drive is assembeld through diffrent pieces hooked up togehter through wires but whats what

Not to be rude, but the *Can'tSayThisOnTV*'re you talking about? Yeah, pretty much everything is made up of different parts hooked together. Could you explain a little better? :confused:

Yeah, there is no way we can help you without a good description. Pictures would help also.

here is a pic of the bottom side of the drive please explain what each wire is and what it does

http://imgur.com/sAzlV

also on the side of the dvd drive flipped right side up of course theres this black switch that has two sticks that i can move around independently, in order for the laser to turn on the two sticks have to be pressed back,

the casing of the gamecube kept that push back, but for my portable that will be a problem is there anyway i can replace that switch with something else

The blue wires are for the open/closed switch for the lid. Those wires hook up to the thing with the two sticks, which is the switch for the lid. If it's closed, it can work the DD. If not, it can't. You can either hook those two wires together so that the lid is permanently closed or you can put a switch in the middle of that circuit to control whether it's open or closed whenever you want.

The wires to the right are the power wires for the Disk Drive.

The two FFCs are some other doohickies for the Disk Drive that you DO need.

Reaper said:
here is a pic of the bottom side of the drive please explain what each wire is and what it does

http://imgur.com/sAzlV

also on the side of the dvd drive flipped right side up of course theres this black switch that has two sticks that i can move around independently, in order for the laser to turn on the two sticks have to be pressed back,

the casing of the gamecube kept that push back, but for my portable that will be a problem is there anyway i can replace that switch with something else

thank's, now i just need to figure out the casing, any ideas on how to hand build one
and any tips that will make the casing good,

That's gonna be alllll your imagination, bud. There are a few methods you can use, but ultimately it comes down to what you want and how you go about it.

You can "frankencase", vac-form, or just cut holes in a plastic box. You can find more on those in the Case section.

Back