So I gather all the parts for a portable

You will never be able to do it...
Read some worklogs and see some of the problems peoe run into for not reading, not taking their time, assuming/guessing, being stupid, and also not having/using the right tools...

Here is a quick test for you:
Can you picture in your head how to build a circuit to light up an LED??
If you cannot imagine how to make this off the top of your head, then you are in over your head and should not be using a portable GC as a first time learning project..
Unless you have about an extra 1000$ to spend replacing all the parts you burn up / blow up..

Try to occupy yourself with other cheap projects that can build your skills, like soldering on tiny parts, so you'll able to avoid costly mistakes as you work your way into portablizing. Still, it takes a lot of messing up with the GameCube itself before you can really make it to the final product...

I solder pcb boards for fuel indicators for airbus, boeing, lockheed for a living so I'm not worried about the circuit parts of the build or the wiring parts. It's the whole mounting everything in the case making the case and the batteries and fans part that just makes me think "oh s**t what have I gotten myself into"

I can solder ...... and that's pretty much all I can do.

Oh, well, then it's really a matter of being able to create and plan for a design of your own that you like. I can't say much more than that but if you can get a real picture into your head of what you want the end result to be, you can start to see it come together. The rest is just drilling, cutting, and gluing everything in the right places.

Thanks man I'll keep everyone posted how it's going.

And no doubt be back to ask for advice more times than I care to mention.

Back