Share your chemical secrets!

zeturi

DEMON PIE!
What kinds of chemicals do you use when working with your cases? Glues, bondos, puttys of all kinds get used in our case work. Please list what you use!

I use hot glue to hold my frankencased pieces in place, then I use abs cement to fill in all the gaps and remove the hot glue. I sand everything down with 50 grit, then 150 grit sandpaper. For a filler, I'm experimenting with a marine sealant. It says it's for filling gaps in between wood and fiberglass for boats. Cures in 24 hours. If it'll fill in my air bubbles and a couple of dips here and there in plastic, I'll probably stick with it.

EDIT: Marine sealant is a hells no. It peels right off with sandpaper. I probably will use the spot and glazing putty and see how it goes.

EDIT2: Spot and glazing putty is pretty good. Filled in all my low spots and air bubbles with no problems. Snow, thank you for suggesting it.

Start with hotglue to hold in place.

Then some nice epoxy putty from walmart.

Sand.

Sand.

Sand.

Sand.

Bondo glazing and spot putty.

Sand.

Sand.

Sand.

Bondo Glazing and spot putty.

Sand.

Sand.

Sand.

Bondo glazing and spot putty.

Sand.

Sand.

Sand.

5 coats krylon primer.

5 coats krylon paint.

5 coats krylon clearcoat.

I use liquid ABS to attach things, then use Bondo "Glazing and Spot Putty" and sand that down. Then I paint with Fusion. It's ugly, but that's because I didn't sand enough, not because the products suck.

Oh and I use hotglue to attach things in a pinch.

C'mon, do none of you work on portables anymore? Or is this topic too fail to deserve your posts? :lol:

Glazing and spot putty is not a filler.

Do not use it as one.

It has very little strength to it.

It's for filling in cracks and pinholes AFTER using a proper filler, which abs cement is not.

I have used abs cement as a filler for absolutely everything. It's been sanded down smooth. I've just used the spot and glazing putty to fill in small low spots and air bubbles. It doesn't seem to have any problems.

Of course, if I find out I'm wrong I'll update this thing immediately. The abs cement has held my plastic like a rock. It doesn't chip, and it's Heck to sand. It's taken a pretty good beating with 50 grit sandpaper. Doesn't budge or give into pressure. Granted, I haven't tried standing on my case like Palmer, but I might. :p

I was talking to xcvg actually, but I suppose abs cement with a filler over the top works well as well. The main issue is air bubbles, so if you've been able to solve that problem well, great.

Back