RGB Modding?

mymixed

Hi,

I'm looking into buying a PSOne screen for my portable N64 and am wondering if it needs my N64 needs to be RGB Modded. I have a rev 5 board :(. I would like to use component for the PSOne if I can. Thanks,

mymixed

First off, do you know the distinction between RGB and component video?

Component video in the broadest sense refers to video separated into components, including S-video, RGB, and YPbPr. However, the term is almost always used to refer to YPbPr colour difference video. I won't go into details, but I will mention that the green-blue-red 3-RCA connection referred to as Component or ColorStream is YPbPr colour difference. RGB, on the other hand, is separated into red, green, and blue components, plus sync. When we say RGB, we are usually referring to 15KHz RGB, which almost always has composite sync (one sync line). VGA is also a form of RGB, but has separate horizontal and vertical sync lines and runs at 31KHz and higher resolutions.

PSone screen can never input YPbPr. N64 can never output YPbPr. PSone screen does accept RGB. An -05 N64 cannot be RGB modded- you need an -04 or an -03.

Okay thanks. Is there any way to hook up the N64 to the PSOne screen without RGB?

- mymixed

I'm american, so NTSC. I'll just stick with composite then, Is it a big quality difference? If it is I'll probably replace the chip. What do you call that? (The thing you solder to get RGB)

Mixed, there was a comparison picture of composite vs RGB with the N64 and a PSOne screen, but I can't find it right now. But trust me, the difference is seriously minuscule, and not really worth the effort. Just go with composite.

Bud - You're not, but you should put that disclaimer in anyway. Only PAL PSOne screens can accept s-video.

Ok, thanks. I don't want to do it for nothing :D. At least now I know it accepts composite.

- mymixed

Back