PSone Screen Wont Power On. Help?

zack

Hello, I am quite new to the forums and modding, but after doing plenty of research I will be building a portable Gamecube soon. The PSone screen was the first part that came in the mail and since then have I been trying to test it out. Long story short, I cannot get the screen to turn on!! :confused: I do not have an official adapter, but have been testing with 7.5 volts of regular AA and also D batteries instead. I have wired pin 12 to the 7805 regulator and also bridged the fuse, but the best I can get the screen to do is make a quiet high-pitched noise and maybe show some very faint lines in the screen. The backlight wont come on, and pressing the volume or brightness buttons does not display anything either. I have tried other adapters between 4v - 6v just to make sure, and also have tried inputting a composite video signal, but still nothing. I have ordered a PSone AC adapter so I can officially determine if something is wrong with my wiring or not, but until it comes, has anyone else experienced the same problem? What could cause the screen to not power on? I will definitely be returning it if my board is bad, as I ordered it brand new and it was sent to me that way.

Thanks! :awesome:

Zack,

Can you post a picture of your screen?

Did you follow this pinout? http://kyorune.com/modding/file.php?art=17&file=3

Check your 7.5v and gnd with a multimeter and also the composite in.
I already got his problem once and it was a small piece of solder stuck between to caps.
Try to clean your board. Pics would greatly help to solve your problem.

I have already sealed the PSone screen up for return, so unfortunately a picture would be inconvenient at the time. Yes, I followed that exact diagram and have tested for correct power. Even after the official adapter arrived, I still had no luck. Although if I shine a flashlight on the LCD and press the volume/brightness buttons, there is a very faint image of the level bar thingy on the bottom of the screen. Obviously the LCD is getting power, but there is a problem with the backlight.

Like I said, the screen is closed up for return, so I will just be exchanging it for a new one. I suppose I could try the LED mod, but I would rather use the original backlight. There's not a guarantee that that's the issue anyways. Plus the screen was sent to me broken, so it makes sense to just return it. Thanks for your help though :p

Will do. :) I'm off to a bit of a bad start with the defective screen and also some fried gamecube regulators, but I will exchange the screen and I have two spare gamecubes on their way. Once I get started, I will post some pictures and updates on any issues/discoveries I find.

I will be working on this project with my uncle. He's pretty smart. He distributes and repairs meters for water flow testing. So he has a pretty cool lab where we will be working on the portable gamecube as pictured below.
419677_278622025539653_100001755732760_652368_228261516_n.jpg

By the way, where should I post updates on my project? Is there a section on the forums for project progress?

Did you try putting 5v to pin 12 of the first plug? That's solved all of my backlighting issues in the past.

Yes, I have wired pin 12 to the 7805 regulator just like this and still nothing.
file.php
file.php

I did use a very low awg wire though. 30 awg to be exact. Maybe this is a stupid question, but would wire thickness ever be an issue in this particular spot?

I've used a 24 awg and didnt have any problems.
I really dont think the gage of the wire is the problem here.

In that case, I don't think my problem is easily fixable. I will be returning it today or tomorrow...

Back