Post your PC Specs!

samjc3 said:
βeta said:
samjc3 said:
Yes but you could buy that monitor, which is heavily overpriced, and better hardware than is in an imac for less. And youd come out of it with a machine that was more suited to the things that you like to do, because you have options.

Unfortunately, the things I like to do include:
Hauling my all-in-one between my mom and dad's houses and school lern2laptop
Living in a 400 sq. ft. house with two other people where there actually isn't room for even a mid size tower lern2laptop
Using OSX Firstly, why???? and secondly osx86.

$800 for this computer plus this excellent monitor is reasonable and competitive, not to mention it being exactly what I need for my circumstances. On top of that, I get amazing customer service if anything goes wrong. $800 is less than the factory price by alot, last I checked. And lots of companies have excellent customer service. I will say microsoft isnt one of them, but there are hundreds upon hundreds of places to get software help, and hardware manufacturers such as EVGA, G.skill, Asus and Dell have incredible customer service.

Don't judge what things "I like to do." I am incapable of not judging things which are wholesomely illogical. I am also disinclined to respect anybody who uses macs, because in my experience they are either snobs or old people. Obviously there are exceptions, but I swear if one more person tells me osX "is just better" I will injure them.

1. I have a laptop as well. There is no laptop with a 27 inch screen, which I need.
2. It was $1800. $800 is the amount of money left over had I bought an UltraSharp or a Cinema Display. I can't walk into the Asus or Dell store and get a replacement no-questions-asked.
3. "...things which are wholesomely illogical" Your "logic" apparently disagrees with millions of mac owners.
4. "I am also disinclined to respect anybody who uses macs" That's some pretty immature, generalizing sentiment right there.
5. It is totally reasonable and within my rights to say I prefer OSX. And I DO think it's better. Sorry my opinion is not to your liking.

I don't have to justify my reasoning, and I don't really feel like having this discussion anymore.

βeta said:
1. I have a laptop as well. There is no laptop with a 27 inch screen, which I need.

Well obviously. As for 27" screens, get a freaking 30" and a vesa mount.

2. It was $1800. $800 is the amount of money left over had I bought an UltraSharp or a Cinema Display. I can't walk into the Asus or Dell store and get a replacement no-questions-asked.

If it was $1800 then why did you say it was $800, you silly goose? If you need a 27" screen, use a vesa mount and its slightly less sleek but cheaper and more powerful. Plus if you are truly so attached, it would be able to run osx far faster than any normal mac, aside from a "high end" mac pro, which costs more than an average new car. As for replacements, if you bought an Asus you would never need one. And I had my xps replaced 3 or 4 times very painlessly.

3. "...things which are wholesomely illogical" Your "logic" apparently disagrees with millions of mac owners.

And millions of people like Justin Beiber. Just because people use it or like it doesnt mean its good.

4. "I am also disinclined to respect anybody who uses macs" That's some pretty immature, generalizing sentiment right there.

Immature it may be, but its true. Very nearly every mac person I know is a stuck up blithering idiot; you know, the kind of folk that think that Hitler was right they literally own the world and that you are some sort of stain on it. Honestly, I can think of only one person I know who is a mac who I also believe could tie his own shoes.

5. It is totally reasonable and within my rights to say I prefer OSX. And I DO think it's better. Sorry my opinion is not to your liking.

Thats just it though. You can prefer it all you like. However, what gets me is that nobody ever gives any reasons. Its always simply, "Its just better. full stop." Thats what bothers me.

I don't have to justify my reasoning, No, I dont suppose you do, but I reserve the right to know that I am a better person than you get more for my dollar. and I don't really feel like having this discussion anymore. Sure thing.

Gonna derail your petty arguments about Y U NO USE MY COMPUTER SYSTEM with my current systems:

Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 (betcha can't figure out it has the P55 chipset and USB3 onboard)
Core i7 875k @ 4GHz
8GB DDR3
GTX 260 GPU
IBM Model M keyboard (was free! I have more!)
128GB Crucial SSD + 500GB WD + 1TB Hitachi
Xclio windtunnel case with front blue LEDs removed
VP2330WB LCD @ 1920x1200 - this LCD is a VA panel so it has great contrast and color from any angle. Response is 8ms, fine for me. Cost? $80.

I'd like to hear about these Model Ms you have.
By the way, how do VA panels fare against others like IPS panels?

Mako321 said:
I'd like to hear about these Model Ms you have.
By the way, how do VA panels fare against others like IPS panels?

They're kind of the between area of IPS and TN panels. They (at least mine) offer decent response rate, color reproduction is superb as is contrast, and viewing angles are great. IPS has slightly better color reproduction at the cost of slightly worse viewing angles. TN is worse than all of them except for response rate.

================================
Desktop (custom):
-------------------------------------------
Scout Storm case
Biostar motherboard T-series
6 gig DDR3 (soon to be 8 ;))
500GB HHD (can't remember name)
AMD Phenom II X4
Gigabyte 6870 OC
Other stuff ::3:
--------------------------------------------
Asus 22" Monitor
Saitek: Cyborg V5 Keyboard
Razer: Deathadder
I am proud to call this rig my own :]

-Mule

Deathadder - best mouse ever, bought it after Jlee suggested it to me.

============
DESKTOP SYSTEM
============

GIGABYTE M68MT Motherboard - Not a lot, but looks like a sturdy starting point, with a single PCIex16 slot, two x1 slots and a standard PCI slot.

AMD Phenom II 1055T Six Core Processor - While one can argue that AMD > Intel, I could encode video while recording new video to encode at the same time, or I could encode video then play DJMAX Trilogy without any framerate drops. Or throttle all six cores to 800MHz to have it run as quiet as my medical air filter (don't ask) yet retaining decent performance when encoding on all 6 cores. Then sleep soundly while it encodes overnight. It gets quite loud when you encode at all 6 cores at full power.

Corsair 4GB DDR3 RAM - It's RAM. DDR3.

Western Digital 500GB Caviar Blue Hard Drive - It's a hard drive.

DiabloTek Elite Mid-Tower Case - Comes with a 450W PSU that seems to handle everything well. Made out of cheap flimsy metal that would probably get crushed when someone "accidentally" sits on it. Seriously. This thing with no parts inside just weighs the same as my old laptop. Comes with bright blue LEDs to keep you awake at night, but nothing a towel can fix.

LG DVD Burner - A DVD burner that burns DVDs. And reads them as well.

Nvidia GeForce 7025 - A rather basic integrated graphics card. Handles DJMAX Trilogy at 120-350fps (variable) at 720p maxed out. Handles WZ2100 at 720p, maxed out at 60fps (locked). While you won't be expecting wonders from it, it's more than enough to run video and play the only games I play with it.

Philips 221E1HSB Monitor - 22" LCD, Widescreen 16:9, max res is 1080p although it does 720p and every 4::3: and 16:9 res below 1080p just fine. A very nice monitor and very happy with it. Connects to PC via VGA, connects to PS3 via HDMI.

Nexxtech Scissor Keyboard - A plain keyboard, bought for $10 on clearance. While generic, it's keys are like what you get on a laptop. I have been a laptop user for years, and I got used to this. I have been hammering the D, F, J, K and Space keys the most (also A, S, L, ; sometimes) and they are still as responsive as the day I got the keyboard.

Generic No-Name mouse - Says "Made in China" and "CM-408" on it, but it's just your generic optical mouse. Responsive enough and comfy enough for day to day use.

Mako321 said:
Love my deathadder, hate the drivers to death.
Never install the CD stuff or stuff from the website, pretty much ruins the mouse.

Pretty derpy but...

:
2.4 ghz two duo
4 GB DDR2 RAM
1T HD
20 inch LCD
10.5.8 (to lazy to update)

I have another iMac, Windows 2000 (XD Ikr), and soon to get a small Dell Inspiron. I don't want to look up the others.

My rig is still basically the same as the last time I posted. Changes are bolded.

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge (stock clocks)
MSI Z68MA-ED55 Z68 mATX
16GB DDR3-1600 (4x4)
MSI Geforce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II
Plextor m5 Pro 256GB
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
Western Digital Black 2TB
Samsung SH-somethingorother DVD-RW
Corsair H60 (I was on stock cooling until about a month ago)
2xNoctua NF-F12 (front intake), Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm (side), fake SP120 (rear rad)
flaxty USB3.0 upgrade kit that required me to recrimp wires
XFX 650W Core Series PSU
Antec Three Hundred

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Logitech G700 (battery life is flax)
Logitech G710+ (Cherry MX Brown FTW)
ASUS VG23AH 3D IPS 23.6" FHD (the 3D doesn't work)
Altec Lansing BXR1121 (going to replace these)

I did get a new laptop, and I'll post its specs... tomorrow.

My Rig
Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz (never exceeds 65C)
Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E (sooo quiet)
Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe Z77 Mini iTX
G.Skill Ripjaw Z DDR3 8GB 2400MHz
Asus GTX 660 Ti DC2 OC Edition
2x OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSDs in Raid0 (these were gifted to me for beind "bad" but I haven't had an issue yet)
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD (originally for my OS, but since recieveing the two drives above this is a cacheing drive)
Western Digital Caviar Black 7200 rpm 1TB
Corsair CX500 500 Watt PSU
Fractal Design Node 304

Razer Black Widow 2013 Edition
Razer Death Adder 2013 Edition
Razer Goliathus Mouse Pad

Kinda over kill but I upgraded from an Acer Aspire One that I bought in 2009 (or 2008) and I was sick of having a crappy PC.

My Girlfriends Budget Rig
Intel Pentium G2120 @ 3.1GHz (not to start a flame war, but this CPU stomps most of AMDs lowend quads in gaming)
Stock CPU Heatsink
Asus P8B75-M LX B75 M-ATX
Kingston Hyper X Blu DDR3 8GB 1600MHz (8GB is unnecessary in a budget build but I intend to upgrade the cpu to a 3570 someday and upgrade the gpu too)
Zotax GTX 560 Ti (These are the best bang for your buck on Amazon, although you can pickup a non Ti GTX 660 for pretty cheap right now too, and AMDs equivalent to the 660 because of their latest cards)
Hitachi Desktar 7200rpm 1TB (something I had laying around)
Some $17 wireless N card
Corsair CX500 500 Watt PSU
Rosewill MATX Case

This PC is pretty good for the $350-$400 we spent on it. Good start for a budget build.

My Server
Fujitsu RX300 s5
Dual Xeon E5520 @ 2.26GHz turbos to 2.53GHz (8 cores 16 threads total)
24GB DDR3 1066MHz
2x 128GB SAS drives in Raid1
3x Hitachi 500GB SATA2 Drives in Raid5
3x Hitachi 500GB SATA2 Drives in Raid5
800W PSU (can run dual PSUs)

This server was gifted to me from my work because they caught the iSickness and replaced it with two mac mini servers with i7s. Which get the job done while being quieter and only use 17watts of power a piece. The reasoning for the switch is a little screwy. Basically they put 4 of the OCZ vertex 4s in this thing and it was a beast, but OCZ SSDs aren't considered the most reliable, and when two "failed" the server was deemed a waste of time and money. I ended up with the "bad" SSDs and the server with the original SAS drives plus six additional SATA2 drives.

Id like to run some game servers with this thing because its such a shame to see such a computer just sitting. If you guys would like a community minecraft server or something let me know!

If those SSDs are supposedly bad, you might want to consider a raid 1 instead of a raid 0. SSDs already have quite the performance boost to them and from what I've read, putting them in RAID 0 doesn't offer much of a real-world performance boost, so you're mostly just doubling the risk of failure of the entire shared filesystem between the two, while with RAID 1 you'll be able to salvage your system should one of the drives fail.

Well, it's long past tomorrow, but...

Laptop: Lenovo Y410p
Core i7-4200MQ (that's a quad core Haswell, they changed the nomenclature for no apparent reason)
8GB DDR3 (dual channel and DDR3-1600, apparently)
Intel HD Graphics 4600 (which is probably better than the discrete graphics in my old laptop)
nVidia Geforce GT750M (with 2GB of RAM, more than my 560Ti and I don't know why)
24GB caching SSD (I have no idea what it is)
1TB 5400RPM HDD (slow)
Screen: 1600x900 semi-glossy TN (it's not bad, but it's pretty dim)
Tray loading DVD-RW
Windows 8 (it's *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing horrible and I'll probably dump it for Win7)
4 hour battery life (at least they were honest)

XCVG said:
24GB caching SSD (I have no idea what it is)

It's an SSD used as another layer of the memory hierarchy. After Registers, Cache, and RAM, now you have the SSD before getting into the slower HDD.

Back