Poll on portable N64????

Status
Not open for further replies.

mesojdm

hello modders!
Just wondering what you guys would think of a mass produced DIY portable n64 kit?? How much would you pay??
Also, I'd be interested to see what features you guys think are best!
It would be much appreciated if you could arrange these 5 features on your list(1-5, with 1 being highest priority)
1)COMFORT/LOOKS
2)BATTERY LIFE
3)SCREEN SIZE
4)PRICE
5)EASIER DIY

thanks alot!!! and happy gaming :mrgreen:

unfortunately a kit wouldn't be popular. It would be very time consuming and expensive to make anything "mass" produced, considering a large part of it involves modifying existing products to suit specific needs.

A lot of the reason anyone wants to make a portable is to show that they can do it, learn things along the way, and try out design ideas. The remaining reason is usually financial or for novelty - you'll find a lot of people just sell them or don't play them often (because, honestly, there is nothing practical about them).

Making a kit out of it would ruin most of those reasons - it would be less creative, less engaging, and less valuable when you are done (and the value is very unstably based on the fact that someone with way too much money sees a neat unique thing and wants it).

Now, if you had connections for a way to get mass-produced 3.5" LCDs that ran on ~3.3V and took analogue RGB+Sync, we'd be talking :D

Thanks for the reply! So, what if I could tell you there was a kit ~$150-200 that was not only sleek and stylish, but could be fully assembled in less that a few hours?? :lol:

wtf1.PNG

mesojdm said:
Thanks for the reply! So, what if I could tell you there was a kit ~$150-200 that was not only sleek and stylish, but could be fully assembled in less that a few hours?? :lol:

I call those commissions, not kits. :rolleyes:

SS

shock-
I am not selling anything as of now, just gauging interest. Also, by the time you factor in;
LCD module, driver board, li-poly battery's, PCB, charger, speakers, wiring, N64 case(not to mention tooling and mold cost)..imo there isn't really much "commission" to be made.
I am an avid gamer much like everyone else here on the forums. I love tinkering and playing with old school games. Unfortunately, for the average DIY, making a portable gaming system is near impossible. Most people forget how much fun playing goldeneye, mario kart, zelda(etc) is because they don't have access readily available.

I think it is easier for them to remember how fun their old n64 games were by hooking up their N64, not building a portable :confused:

Seriously, though, if you have any information on 3.5" RGB capable screens, I'm interested. Like, "I'll happily pay you $70" interested.

There are two kinds of people that want portables. Someone willing to build their own, and people who commission someone to build one. However, nobody wants to buy a kit.

A good "kit" wouldn't be mass producible. The best option for someone wanting to simplify the process is to commission an experienced modder for various services like motherboard trimming, Cart slot relocation, case making, etc.

I have actually received a fairly positive response to this idea. Keep in mind that if launched this kit will be VERY simple for an average DIY'er(I'm talking about NO board trimming, NO card or expansion pack relocating, and MINIMAL soldering)
The rest is simply swapping the motherboard, controller board and buttons from the original console right into our design.(all the way down to factory mounting locations with factory hardware!) Also, connections will be easy plug and play(with the supplied mini and micro JST connectors)
Unlike most portables out there, this one is not bulky and square. It is a unique design and the ergonomics are spot on!
Yes, most of you hackers on this board would rather build yours from scratch. But the rest of the gamer-oriented technically challenged population does not have that luxury or skill. That is where our idea fills the void.
Thanks for all the input(good and bad!)
BTW[- here are a few older pictures of our working prototypes. We are constantly testing and bettering the design to cover all areas. They will be painted in Piano white(wii) and Gloss black for our video promo. And YES this is a 7" 4::3: Screen for the native RES!! unlike the 16:9 you see on others.
0ead1536.jpg

0cb09bfa.jpg

slayer- please elaborate.
We could have hacked the controller to save space and rewire A,B,UP DOWN,L ,R buttons. but that is a lot of work and soldering. (were trying to keep it as simple as possible) KISS theory.
Also, the design might look abstract at first, but after holding this portable N64 you think otherwise. It feels like the natural grip of the classic N64 controller case but with a screen in the middle. VERY comfortable!

Start button is way off from a comfortable position. Having a controller port there would be annoying as *Can'tSayThisOnTV*.

Controller flanks are comfortable, yes.

Start button placement is very bad for the unit, it needs to be closer to the buttons, current design begs holding the unit one handed, putting more stress on the flanks and ending the unit quicker.
How do you have the flanks attached?
Can I get a picture of the back of the unit, specifically the left control flank?

SS

People mostly make portables to have a hobby, learn new stuff and to challenge themselves.
People who wants portables and do not want to make one themselves commision someone to get an unique one
which probably will be somewhere near portable.
The rocketship you presents us pictures with lacks portability and takes all the fun out of it.
I highly doubt that anyone takes something like that around just for playing.
I didn't start making portables just because i wanted to take SM64 with me wherever i went.
I did it to learn something new and interesting, be creative and talk with other creative
people who gladly helps each other and challenges each other so you can learn even more.
Now that i have created a lot of portables myself, i commision experienced people to help me
with my projects. I do however make the casings and a lot of the work to get unique design.
I don't get how you would be able to mass produce and make a market for that "portable"
which seems to have its own gravitational pull.
But that is my opinion.
Either way good luck.

We placed the start button symmetrically. It is only used to start the game or to pause it. As for stress on the flanks, they are very sturdy(not to mention 8 machine screws bolting the 2 halves together.
here is the back(when it was still in sanding phase)
12452294.jpg

And proportional to a regular sized hnad
f37126f2.jpg

T-Berg said:
I usually keeps quiet, but this is the dumbest flax i have ever gazed upon.

I agree and disagree. I myself, even though i never made one, owned one. I wanted one to be able to play n64 instead of *plaque* ds games. It was my childhood and it brought back memories. I'm not the only one who thinks like this, and you aren't the only one with your beliefs. But this will definetly sell, maybe not to YOU, but to someone like me who wants to play it and not for the sake of learning. On the otherhand, yes, the design is a bit off. It could definetly be improved in layout and portability. As that design will sell, i feel a better one will sell much easier. As much as people want to buy it, they want it to be a dream. And im sorry, as comfortable as it may be, it does not look like a dream. 7" screen may be a little to big, and flanks may not be the best way to go although it's the easiest.

This is coming from somebody who buys and hasn't made yet. So for those who have and like the feeling of making them, thats a portablizers opinion on it and you should definetly listen to their tips on improving it. As for selling to the right people, its an pretty good idea to do this.

It's interesting and I applaud you trying to make it mainstream.

But as mentioned the design is not going to attract sales. The thing is huge. Huge does not sell. Get it smaller, that should be fairly easy.

Also the 7" screen? Not needed or wanted in a portable. Go with a 4::3: - 5" screen.

The flanks ??? With a 5" screen and a much smaller design could work. But it makes the unit huge.

Like I said 5" screen + smaller unit = SALES !!!

Listen to ShockSlayer, myself and the others, we have made and sold a lot of units and know what the public wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back