PalPak64, the semi-official standard for smaller N64 carts!

PalmerTech

Founder of Modretro
Staff member
One of the biggest problems that faces portabilizers is the size of cartridges, which inherently limit how small a portable can go. I aim to try and solve this, starting with the N64!

I have designed this standard to be the perfect fit for a portrait style N64 portable, but it will still be useful for any N64 portable. I have taken apart all my N64 carts, and this standard will accommodate ANY N64 game, even the ones with large PCBs (Pokemon Stadium 2, LOZ:OOT, etc.)

I am 90% done with my first cart, I will post instructions on how to do it easily once I finish. In the meanwhile, here is a pic!
2l8gg8h.png

The gamepack shall be perfectly flush on the side without chips, and no more than 1/4" thick. Carts may be taller than the max spec. However, width should be kept precise, so as to work in both open and closed cart mounting systems. That way, all the carts made to fit this standard will work in any N64p made to utilize them! PalPaks will also work in any normal N64 or N64p, they will just not stick out as much, or weigh as much.

This post will be revised as time goes on, any feedback/ideas/suggestions?

This is a pretty good idea. I can't wait to see the final result.

This is on hold for a few days while I measure my N64p. It breaks my heart, but for maybe a 20% increase in thickness, I can have an integrated normal sized N64 cart slot... :confused:

I am going to try and work on this anyways, it still allows for space savings. I might just make my portable with these in mind, but the ability to use normal carts, too.

It's a great idea, but in practice it is stupid. Why? Because you would have to mod your games, maybe not all, but you probably play more than one game. It takes time to do, and your game is now completely worthless, so you better plan on keeping it. So it's sound in theory, but in practice you would MAYBE mod a handful of games, so your N64p better be compatible with normal games as well.

Oh no, my valuable $6 copy of starfox is ruined! So is my $12 SM64! What if I need to sell them!?! :lol: ;)

Yeah, I decided my portable will play normal carts, too, but using these carts will look a lot slicker. In the future, I might make a portable that only uses these, and uses an adapter cart for full size ones, but for now, my N64p will work with normal carts too.

PalmerTech said:
Yeah, I decided my portable will play normal carts, too, but using these carts will look a lot slicker. In the future, I might make a portable that only uses these, and uses an adapter cart for full size ones, but for now, my N64p will work with normal carts too.
Which one? I must've seen, like, 8 different cases. :lol:

Back