Need something better than hotglue

Tchay

Frequent Poster
I need something that dries as fast as hot glue, but won't melt as easily. Will be used for securing connections, and protecting tiny caps on the backside of the GC mobo (and it gets VERY hot on the backside).

I currently have contact cement...but its highly toxic and takes a day to dry.

Suggestions anyone???

epoxy works well. ive never used it but i mr.shockslayer uses it for everything. just look at his flamethrowers there covered in it.

Epoxy or some form of epoxy maybe, why not relocate those tiny caps to a safer spot?

Epoxy, maybe, but even "5-minute" takes an hour to dry and is super-permanent. Silicone is weak and doesn't dry that fast, but it is better than hotglue in the thermal department and is flexy.

I had thought about putting "dont say epoxy!" in my first post....sounds like I should have gone with that instinct.

Anyway I like Palmers suggestion: high temp industrial glue gun. 30ish bucks for a decent one it seems. Not too bad.

EDIT: and mako, the tiny caps are about a 16th of an inch thick and there are 40+ of them. I'd rather not relocate those. Oh and trace latency............

Protect the caps from what, exactly?

And I guess higher-temp hot glue could work. But then you're getting the components hotter, but it should be okay as long as you don't go overboard with the hot glue. Make sure you use high-temp glue sticks. Using standard dual-temp would be pointless.

I use high-temp glue for everything. Works great. If your portable is getting hot enough to melt that, you've got other things to worry about.

mako321 said:
Liquid cement?

the cement I have is too toxic and takes forever to dry. Not to mention its not very flexible.

The tiny caps on the back of the mobo can break off very easily. If a single one breaks off, the board will never work again. Once I make a cutting tutorial video, it will make more sense.

Back