Need help hooking up wiikey fusion

weedenfeed

Hey everybody. I need some help with hooking up the wiikey fusion to a GameCube.

I got everything wired up today but when I booted the GameCube it wouldnt load. It starts to and then the error comes up and the system freezes. I checked and double checked all my connections. The region is set correctly and the GameCube IPL is compatible. The wiikey works and I hooked it up to the wii to make sure.

I can't figure it out. It seemed to me like something was accidentally getting grounded. When I checked the power points on the board with my continuity meter, it seems like the 1.9v line is grounded but I didn't even do anything with that line. The meter is definitely beeping between ground and 1.9v though.

Other than that there are no bridges in my wiring that I can find. I did have issues getting the FFC seated properly though.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm even at the point where I'd be willing to mail this board to someone if they'd be willing to take a look at it for me.

Thanks in advance!

The 1.9v will seem grounded when checked with a continuity meter. When checked with an ohm meter it should read between 20-30 ohms.

Ah. That's good to know. Thanks hailraizer!

I guess I'll check all my connections again. Something must be messed up.

Would it matter that I hooked up the ground connections on the mobo each individually with its own wire to the breakout board? I think I read somewhere others bridged all the ground connections.

I also saw in one of Ashens work logs that he scraped an area on the wiikey itself and grounded it that way? Would that be better?

Lastly, Does anyone out there offer any hookup services? I know ashen did but he's busy with other projects and not taking commissions. If I can't figure this out I will probably need some help.

Thanks again!

if you know what you want done, Bud might be up for the commissions. everyone seem's happy with the work he does.

Thanks guys.

So I went back and quadruple checked all my connections. Everything is hooked up correctly according to all the documentation. There are no shorts based on my continuity testing and all the connections are solid.

Again, the only thing I did differently is instead of bridging all the grounds, I hooked them all up individually, so the ground pins on the wiikey go to their spot on the gc mobo. By all accounts that should mean that it is grounded, right? Should I have bridged all the grounds instead? Would that really make a difference and why?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mr. Hooker said:
opp's, sorry for that then, I seen a lot of n64 stuff, but didn't know he did n64's only.
I actually do pretty much any cartridge based system. I'm also pretty handy with screens and general wiring.

What kind of diagram did you use? It would be helpful to know exactly how you wired it.

I used the one at the end of Ashens guide that shows how to hook it up using the new haven breakout board. I hooked all data lines up using the board, and hooked 3.3v and ground up directly to the wiikey. I'm also using the exact switches Ashen mentioned from his guide and other posts from Radio Shack. Still no luck.

I'm going to try to hook it up without the breaker board. It's gonna take some time though. Not sure yet how the FFC wiring is going to go.

Back