My somewhat good day broke apart in front of me, Literally

nightwheel

Here's what happened. I got a call earlier today from a family friend asking if I want to make a few quick bucks. Which is pretty normal of him to ask me about. So I figured sure, why not. So I said yes.

Well about 30 minutes ago. He came by and picked me up. Well apparently we were going to help move a antique dresser from one of the local antique stores to the costumers truck.

We get there, It's a beautiful dresser with huge mirror and 2 tier marble top. So we carefully start taking the dresser a part. So that we can get ready to move. Them we moved the Mirror to the truck

Then came the marble top. This top had a issue already so we had to be careful on how we moved it. Well we get to the truck. So We are trying to figure out what would be the safest way for this thing to travel. So we tried to put it on it's backside so we could fit it in the back seat of the trucks cab. Thats where things went to pot quickly. My friend and I tilted the top back. When all of the sudden, the top failed and basically fell off. Shattering the smaller second top and the back. The wings were ok.

Well now the the mother of the daughter who bought it is upset and sad. And the antique store owner is furious. After some thinking, we moved the dressers bottom to the truck.

Then our family's friend was talking to the owner. (Which you could tell was getting madder by the minute.) At one point she said, that (top) is worth more than anything I was ever to pay you.

With the fear of possible legal action being taken because of this. I asked, "Is there a possibility of a lawsuit being incurred because of this?". She nodded her head very sternly and said yes.

Then she basically told us to leave before she does something drastic.

So now, I didn't get paid (obviously) by the antique store owner. And now I'm looking at the possibility of a lawsuit formed against me and our family's friend out of this incident.

Well, that sucks. I guess you can take that as a lesson though, no insurance=don't try it, or at least don't *Can'tSayThisOnTV* up. :neutral2:

That's not going to hold up in a court. If she gave you permission to move it and an accident happened, it isn't your fault.

Let her try and waste money on a lawyer.

Sorry but I think you guys are wrong.

If someone is paying a person to move something and they break it then the mover is liable.

If someone is just being nice and offers to move something and the owner accepts the help, then the mover is not liable if they break it.

Now what it comes down to is will the antique store owner step up and assume liability which he should as a business owner who didn't have his employs move it. If not then it falls on the family friend next.

Nightwheel shouldn't be worried about anything though because he is technically a distant third party.

hailrazer said:
Sorry but I think you guys are wrong.

If someone is paying a person to move something and they break it then the mover is liable.

If someone is just being nice and offers to me something and the owner accepts the help, then the mover is not liable if they break it.

Now what it comes down to is will the antique store owner step up and assume liability which he should as a business owner who didn't have his employs move it. If not then it falls on the family friend next.

Nightwheel shouldn't be worried about anything though because he is technically a distant third party.

QFT

she's gonna sue you, who is not a professional, because she hired you to do work that was more than you were capable of handling? Guess she should've hired someone capable of moving something so valuable.

Back