multi player Super Mario 64!

It's probably not flash cart capable... Bud, do me a favor and try it. :p

The local part of it might work, but the online definitely won't. Either way, this is really cool and I'd love to try it.

AbyssPWNS said:
The local part of it might work, but the online definitely won't. Either way, this is really cool and I'd love to try it.

Thats what I'm thinking as well.

Just played it on my wii. I installed the channel in the description. You both share one health bar and life count. Second player can't pick up lives or use the floating hearts. There is no HUD for the cannon making incredibly hard to aim. The bosses only attack player one. BUT, ITS GODDAMNED TWO PLAYER. Plus I really like the way the camera moves to account for both players. 9/10 would download again.

Just download the first link in the description. It even has Project 64 included....

I tried it out using my one 360 controller mapped across 2 controllers (just the basics, but playable with 2 people holding the controller/Siamese twins). Pretty good execution, but SM64 just wasn't designed with multiplayer in mind. I don't see the benefit, besides it being awesome.

ProgMetalMan said:
I think it's about as useful as Galaxy multiplayer.

Except this is nothing like it because it's actual co-op and not someone just pointing and clicking. Closer to the co-op in the earlier Sonic games or even Sonic Adventure, but better since the camera adapts to both players and player two isn't just invincible.

Zero said:
ProgMetalMan said:
I think it's about as useful as Galaxy multiplayer.

Except this is nothing like it because it's actual co-op and not someone just pointing and clicking. Closer to the co-op in the earlier Sonic games or even Sonic Adventure, but better since the camera adapts to both players and player two isn't just invincible.

It's fun but not practical. There are to man levels where it doesn't work good. And since it stays locked on one player if another falls or gets let behind then it is near impossible.

But it was fun for a few minutes .

Anyone comparing this to an actual official multiplayer game is a moron.

This is excellent work.

Kickback said:
:wtf:
Zero said:
Doubt he was referring to that since he said Galaxy and not Galaxy 2. Pretty cool though.
IDK, I haven't played them much (terrible, I know) and get them mixed up. However, it is similar because the second player is sort of an assistant. Heck, I might not have been thinking of an actual Mario game. Maybe I was thinking of an asynchronous gameplay demo of the Wii U.

ProgMetalMan said:
Kickback said:
:wtf:

:wtf: me all you want, whether or not this is a proof of concept, they reverse engineered a game to add a multiplayer mode that wasn't in the original game, it took years to get this far with Sonic Genesis hacking.

I think the quality is at a point where it can be compared to games with a similar multiplayer style.
Now, this would require EXTREME code modification, but it would be cool to see split screen the same way as Toejam & Earl.

I remember reading an article about how Mario 64 was at one point going to have 2player support; I think I remember Miyamoto talking about how awesome it was to have two characters meet in a hallway or something. If I remember correctly the feature was taken out due to the difficulty of getting the camera to work.

I wonder how much of this project is original code and how much is left over multiplayer data in the original game.

That is epic, if only Nintendo had made this possible on release, 4 player!!!
Their sales would have been even better!

djstevo said:
Their sales would have been even better!
SM64 was a launch title. Launch titles must be finished before the console ships.
If they wanted to add multiplayer, they would have had to take resources out of other areas of nintendo,
or in the development of the game, ie bugfixing. No multiplayer for a quality game is a reasonable trade-off really.
Furthermore, multiplayer if it was ever added wouldn't even change sales enough to mark it worthwhile,
because people bought sm64 because it was a mario game, and a lunch title.
Almost no one would buy it specifically for the multiplayer.

Back