Lingo? Skills? Common knowledge?

linc186

Welp, Here's another nuisance to your community!
Yep.
Anyway, being a noob, i thought that to prevent completing future idiocies, i reference to you guys and LEARN!
So, I just want some actual soldering and building and whatever colloquialisms or lingo you guys may have, it'd be nice to know because, for example, i have no idea what making a bridge or tinning a wire means...at all.
It'd also be nice to know how to properly take care of the soldering iron i bought (a cheap one from Ace, it goes up to 750F, came with some solder, and two different heads) what do i do to prevent oxidation of the tip? An general guidelines? Beside that, i bought some flux and some extra solder.
Now onto the big stuff....
Casing.
Now, i have some vague idea on how to do this. I understand i can take basically any plastic thing i want that i see fit to turn into a console and do that, but what about when i want custom casing? The only things i know about this is that: one, to bind different plastics with epoxy, sand it down, and paint it to it looks plasticy also. And two, you can make some sort of vacuum thing and put it in the oven.....i don't know.....
Circuit board shtuffs!
Yeah. I have the vaguest idea ever on how this works.
for example, if im making a snes portable, how do i know whch part of the circuit board to cut and put into my case? Which parts do i need to have it work but not the whole board so it fits? How does soldering buttons work? How do i solder batteries? I know how screens work...vaguely.
Painting
which spray paints are of good quality to use. (In america, please :p)
What tools do i need?
I have a soldering iron, a voltage tester, flux, solder, and i know i need a desoldering pump. What else does i needz?
Lastly, and general knowledge, anything i need to know, or anything to make me not look retarded would be great. :p.
Thanks guys! :tophat:

1) Welcome, although there is a proper thread to introduce yourself in. But yes, welcome.
2) Read the guides and Google. They'll be your best friends.
3) Really, read the guides and stickies.
4) Please, read the stickies.
5) Ace, as in Ace4Parts in Houston? Or as in the hardware store?
6) Really, about everything's addressed in the stickies that you are wanting to know.

linc186 said:
for example, if im making a snes portable, how do i know whch part of the circuit board to cut and put into my case? Which parts do i need to have it work but not the whole board so it fits? How does soldering buttons work? How do i solder batteries?
Generally, you need every part of the board working for the system to work. But most systems, you can trim off entire parts and rewire it so that there's less space wasted.

Soldering buttons generally includes either splitting the controller mobo and putting it where you want, or actually wiring a switch to the contact points of the button.

Batteries will usually have a positive and a negative lead, unless you're using a battery holder for standard batteries (C, D, whatever). But that's not a good idea, lithium ion batteries are best.

Sounds like you have way more tools than when I started, so you ought to be fine!

Ampersand said:
linc186 said:
for example, if im making a snes portable, how do i know whch part of the circuit board to cut and put into my case? Which parts do i need to have it work but not the whole board so it fits? How does soldering buttons work? How do i solder batteries?
Generally, you need every part of the board working for the system to work. But most systems, you can trim off entire parts and rewire it so that there's less space wasted.

Soldering buttons generally includes either splitting the controller mobo and putting it where you want, or actually wiring a switch to the contact points of the button.

Batteries will usually have a positive and a negative lead, unless you're using a battery holder for standard batteries (C, D, whatever). But that's not a good idea, lithium ion batteries are best.

Sounds like you have way more tools than when I started, so you ought to be fine!
Thanks! however, i also forgot to mention that i have no clue what a "mobo" is. My guess is motherboard, which would make sense. But tell me if i'm wrong, please :).

Back