Just got an OnLive console!

kylechu said:
XCVG said:
I could download and play demos on my PC ten years ago.
With Onlive, the big selling point is that you do not have to download the demos. You are instantly streaming them. While that isn't enough for me, you at least have to admit that that sets it apart from other ways to play games.
Yeah, sets it apart by making the regular consumer pay up the ass for bandwith fees.

Mako321 said:
kylechu said:
XCVG said:
I could download and play demos on my PC ten years ago.
With Onlive, the big selling point is that you do not have to download the demos. You are instantly streaming them. While that isn't enough for me, you at least have to admit that that sets it apart from other ways to play games.
Yeah, sets it apart by making the regular consumer pay up the ass for bandwith fees.
I don't know how the internet works in Canada, but when you pay for cable down here, you have unlimited use.

Silly Canucks.

Comcast actually has a 250gb cap now. *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ers.

Anyway, I tried OnLive, and Kyle does have a point. Just pick a game and within a matter of a second you get to play the nearly full game for a certain amount of time (usually 30 min before you have to relaunch the trial). However, they definitely need to work on the video quality, and the input lag wasn't near as bad as I expected, but definitely still there (especially in UT3). Then there's the fact I'm not willing to buy a "playpass" for all my games, just so I can use them with OnLive without actually owning anything (essentially just leasing the use of their server for that game). The "monthly playpass" does seem like a very interesting idea though, similar to Netflix Streaming, but they don't have enough games under that monthly pass to make it worth it yet in my opinion. Overall, its a very neat idea, and fun to mess around with, but until they fix the execution, it'll just stay as something to play around with for me.

How much flexibility does the service give you when it comes to configuring settings, controls, and such?

As for bandwidth caps, Shaw gives you 60GB for their standard plan, 350GB on the most expensive one. It's pretty low, actually, but I've only managed to exceed the 60GB cap once (downloading a bunch of stuff on Steam). I'm sure an OnLive style service would rape that limit even worse. Anyone know what the bitrate is?

Playing games instantly is kind of cool. Would it be possible to stream game data fast enough for it to be run on a local machine? I'm not sure how well that would work.

XCVG said:
How much flexibility does the service give you when it comes to configuring settings, controls, and such?

As for bandwidth caps, Shaw gives you 60GB for their standard plan, 350GB on the most expensive one. It's pretty low, actually, but I've only managed to exceed the 60GB cap once (downloading a bunch of stuff on Steam). I'm sure an OnLive style service would rape that limit even worse. Anyone know what the bitrate is?

Playing games instantly is kind of cool. Would it be possible to stream game data fast enough for it to be run on a local machine? I'm not sure how well that would work.
I get a 95 gig cap, go over almost every month.
How do you do it? D:

Mako321 said:
XCVG said:

I get a 95 gig cap, go over almost every month.
How do you do it? D:
I have to make to with 60, with a brother and a father who pirates films every two seconds.

Actually thinking about getting some form of accelerated dial-up, for when we go down.

At least I could browse then.

Also, my foot skin is cracking.

Back