Jumper pak relocating.

Jumper pack is just a couple SMT caps and resistors, so should be okay on quite a bit of length, but I'd suggest keeping it close as possible anyways.

thanks. i was thinking it could be more than the expansion pak just because there is no ram on the jumper pak, just wanted to make sure.

Should be the same. Maybe a little longer but not significantly. I think that noise and latency would still be an issue, but I'm not certain on how RDRAM works. I could be totally wrong, but just to be safe keep it short.

The Expansion pack needs to be as short as possible, because the ram on it is being accessed constantly.

The jumper pack, however, is basically just telling the system there is no more ram. It should be able to be moved around quite a bit, I just say to keep it as short as possible as a general rule of electronics.

SS

Why keep the pack at all? just solder across the correct pins with the caps and resistors and such.

Bibin said:
Why keep the pack at all? just solder across the correct pins with the caps and resistors and such.

It's because you need special resistor arrays or something. Someone, I forget who, used the components from the jumper pak to do it. But it's VERY fine soldering.

I just cut the excess off of the pack and solder directly to the SMT components on there.

daftmike did it that way. And that's reason enough for me to say it's a good idea.

SS

Back