JRPGs

I would love to suggest Ni no Kuni!

It's story is fantastic, from the masters at Studio Ghibli (Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Princess Mononoke)

Game play is unique and you can avoid battles if you desire.

I would suggest looking it up, can't praise it enough!

Played the first part of it at a friend's house. It was pretty interesting, although I had to stop playing right as I got into the good part. I'll definitely be playing through it at some point.

Finished Opoona. The story behind Opoona is that on your way to vacation with your family on a foreign planet, your ship gets shot down and the lot of you crash land in individual escape pods, splitting you up. The locals take you in and make you work (not in a slavey way, but rather productive member of society way) to to earn your way to the dome your injured parents are recovering in. You may forget all about that little fact as your playing because you're loaded with quite a few things to do. The job you're assigned with is a ranger (kill things) and as you do missions, you upgrade your license to get access to different domes. In the process, you can earn licenses for other jobs that you can do on the side that will give you access to other areas.

You'll probably find yourself spending a lot of time inside the domes doing side jobs and making/bolstering friendships, while killing things is typically done outside of the domes. There isn't too much exploration to do outside of the domes as for the most part you just leave the dome and do your mission and come back. There are random encounters outside of the domes, but it's not too annoying since you don't spend all that much time outside. Also, regular battles can't last more than two minutes and are usually quite brief.

Combat is done... differently. You've got a ball over your head (a "bonbon", for reals) that you throw at enemies by pulling back (or any direction, really) on the joystick to charge and then release to throw it. Depending on the direction you release from and the charge you put on it will change the curve on your throw. This isn't very important in the very beginning, but there is an item you can get that allows you to attack one enemy through another, so you can try to aim your throw to hit as many of them as possible. Otherwise, there may be times when you try to angle your throw to avoid hitting things, or you want to throw the bonbon in such a way that if the enemy comes in to attack he's still in the trajectory to get hit. To go along with the bonbon throwing, you've got your magic and items that can be used in battle, too. You can outfit your bonbon with different coatings and such to give you different abilities and stat-boosts.

It's a decently lengthy game (don't know how many hours I put into it, but I guess I spent around three weeks on it. It's been described as a life-simulation RPG, which I suppose is a fitting description as you go about your everyday life while progressing. If you've got some time and are looking for a cheery little RPG to fill it, Opoona's worth a look.

I'm thinking I may try Baten Kaitos after I'm done with Finals. I'm interested to see what Monolith did before Xenoblade.

Ugh, I tried playing Baten Kaitos, but my save file corrupts immediately. Too bad, because it was starting to intrigue me. Guess I'll move on to Skies of Arcadia or Tales of Symphonia for now.

Zero said:
What are you playing it on?
On Wii via Dios Mios Lite. I've seen it has this issue when trying to use NMM, but I suppose that's not the only way it'll corrupt the save file.

Ah, you should try seeing if you can manage to play it on Dolphin, it's one of those games that works pretty much perfectly and doesn't require anything crazy spec wise.

Zero said:
Ah, you should try seeing if you can manage to play it on Dolphin, it's one of those games that works pretty much perfectly and doesn't require anything crazy spec wise.
Unfortunately, I don't have anything that'll run dolphin any good at the moment, so Baten Kaitos will just have to be put on the back burner. :(

Finished with Skies of Arcadia. Pretty decent exploration and story. Hated the random encounters. There would be times when you're trying to get somewhere, and you'd spend 5 seconds travelling followed by 5 minutes of battling. Battle animations could not be skipped, so there'd be some lengthy moves you'd have to sit through that really extend the time of battles exacerbating the frustration of these frequent random battles. Can only imagine how much that would have bothered me had I played the Dreamcast version without the toned down random battles.

only kinda spoilers for those who haven't played: I always like when I have a place that I can call my own. I enjoyed having my own base and my own ship which could be customized to an extent, though I wish there was a bit more customization

Also, as the ending credits rolled, I happened to notice that Charles Martinet was one of the voices. Surprised me to see the voice of Mario working on a Sega project before Nintendo and Sega were buddy-buddies.

Finished Tales of Symphonia. It was alright. The story itself was decent, but it could have been told better. Characters were alright, but the direction of the voice-acting could have been better. Battle-system felt pretty repetitive, but that may be because I played as Lloyd and didn't really branch out into other characters. The game never really encouraged me to try other characters, so it never really crossed my mind to switch. The only time I really played as anyone else was when you're required to fight Kuchinawa with Sheena, and I was 100% lost in how to fight with her and had my ass handed to me. I don't think I even got in one attack in that fight. Well, I guess there were a couple other times you had to fight as someone else, but I would pick another striker so it didn't throw me off much.

There were some intangibles that I felt gave the game some positives. I did enjoy some of the character interaction, such as Lloyd getting ripped on constantly for being stupid. I could see giving another game in the franchise a try, but I'll probably pass on the direct sequel as I've heard it's not nearly as good.

Back