Ideas I Have for Modretro

TheNineRings

Official Hypello of ModRetro
I have several ideas for modretro, some of which may seem stupid, but I just have to post them, as they may be good ideas.

1. Have modretro game development studios. I suggest this because I know that several of us either have programming skills or want them. Also, we can bring what was great on the old games to current times.

2. Design a game system based on computer hardware. Yes, that is basically how the xbox was formed, but I think we should do this anyways, in the hopes that it is good enough to enter the console wars.

3. Since this is a site full of people who know electronics, couldnt the more experienced of us try to create our own clone systems? By doing this, we could try to eliminate the compatibility issues with console clones.

4. Like #2, this is to develop a game system, but this one handheld. This one is just because it is a cool idea to me, and it seemed to make sense to the goal of this site, which is (sometimes) to make portables.

5. We should release a book of all the information that we have gained on Modretro, for easier access when not online, and making it so that we do not have to slog through the forums to find what we want.

1. I like it, we could homebrew our own games, and have a section about it.

2. Not really keen, you need patents and money, and people often steal your ideas.

3. Again, thats making another system (clone) and requires less than #2, but still a decent amount. Maybe, probably just cheaper to buy one and mod it.

4. same as 3 and 2.

5. kinda a copy of Ben's book, if im not mistaken.

Good ideas thought, maybe some other members are keen on these. :lol:

Not exactly a copy of bens book. What I mean is that It should have the information that people want to do for mods, like region mods. Also, it should document all known problems with such mods.

For your view on # 3, the whole reason for that suggestion is so that we dont have to destroy whatever originals are left, and then we could possibly have one without compatibility issues.

#4, I think that it would be worth it in the long run, if we could do it. I had a couple more ideas, but those were pretty stupid, so I shall not post them here.

The Question said:
I have several ideas for modretro, some of which may seem stupid, but I just have to post them, as they may be good ideas.

1. Have modretro game development studios. I suggest this because I know that several of us either have programming skills or want them. Also, we can bring what was great on the old games to current times.
I would like to see a board based on homebrew, romhacks, whatever. It sounds like something a lot of members here would like.

2. Design a game system based on computer hardware. Yes, that is basically how the xbox was formed, but I think we should do this anyways, in the hopes that it is good enough to enter the console wars.
Eh, no. No one here, I would assume, would do this even if they knew how. If the community can't even maintain a wiki, a real project is way out of the question.

3. Since this is a site full of people who know electronics, couldnt the more experienced of us try to create our own clone systems? By doing this, we could try to eliminate the compatibility issues with console clones.
That one guy made his own N64 board, but IIRC, that's the closest thing to this. I personally don't know how difficult this would be, so I'm not going to give my opinion.

4. Like #2, this is to develop a game system, but this one handheld. This one is just because it is a cool idea to me, and it seemed to make sense to the goal of this site, which is (sometimes) to make portables.
Like #2, my answer is the same.

5. We should release a book of all the information that we have gained on Modretro, for easier access when not online, and making it so that we do not have to slog through the forums to find what we want.
What it sounds like what you really want is a clean and concise database of all guides and such, therefore a free wiki or website would work. With so many internet accessing devices now a days, it's rare to not have access to the internet and be in a position to be working on a project. Furthermore, with a book there would be royalties issues between the contributors.

My $0.02.

I do agree with some of what you say, but I really hope your response to 2 and 4 is wrong, although it is probably right. Also, the guy who made his own n64 board is not done yet (to my knowledge) but it is actually going to be surperior to the original n64 board, so I think that if some others can do this, they should, as it would be :awesome:

The Question said:
I do agree with some of what you say, but I really hope your response to 2 and 4 is wrong, although it is probably right. Also, the guy who made his own n64 board is not done yet (to my knowledge) but it is actually going to be surperior to the original n64 board, so I think that if some others can do this, they should, as it would be.
Also, I think he was an EE or something, and most here are in high school.
Anyway, I'm just playing devil's advocate here; I'd love to be proven wrong.

Actually, kibble was something like that, but I'm not certain how he learned to make circuit boards, I think that he taught himself.

All of these ideas have some major issues, but the one consistent issue that prevents your ideas from happening is: money.

However, I do really like Jewjo's idea to have a board for rom hacking and homebrew. I had started a site with that very purpose a while back, but I stopped because of lack of time, so it would be really cool if we had a section to talk about that here. I even have some articles and tutorials I could contribute for such a section. After all, Modretro is supposed to be about modding in general, and this section would help us expand more.

1. Maybe, but most people's skill here isn't THAT good.

2. Not likely. At all.

3. We're not that smart.

4. Not likely. At all.

5. An organized system like the one we are building suffices.

Maybe if the future.

SS

The Question said:
So there are also major difficulty issues, huh? Maybe after college...
Yes MAJOR difficulty issues. get an Electrical Engineering degree and you can just begin discussing that stuff.

1. Not enough skill

2. Too expensive

3. Palmer is on it

4. Same as 2

5. Who is your target market?

The Question said:

As far as I'm aware, only me and robm have near the experience to do this.

... Why? No, no no no, ew, no.

AHAHHAHAHA this site is full of (<6) people who "know electronics". A Clone system is far from a simple, easy thing to do.

Feasible, for some of us. I don't expect it to happen any time soon, nor do I expect people (with the ability to do something like this) to collaborate and actually do it.

Lol, um, there isn't all that much, mostly just some crap related to horrible portables that should never be made.

Lol, um, there isn't all that much, mostly just some crap related to horrible portables that should never be made.
lol, *Can'tSayThisOnTV* you.

I think a book would be excellent. It wouldn't be broken like Ben's book, it would be more up-to-date with better methods, and it wouldn't be all about portables, but portables and modding in general. If we can make a book better then Ben's this site will have a very successful future.

Back