Headphone jack

GCGO

I got a speaker today. It only has one speaker, even though the amp has a trace for left and right (and ground). Does this mean the speaker is mono? And if so, will it work with the Gamecube???

I plan on connecting power to the 5V line on the AV port beside video. I also got a headphone jack and was wondering, now that there is only one speaker, do I only connect to two of the three points on the headphone jack?? See pics to know what Im talking about ( 5 pics to the left )

http://s801.photobucket.com/user/letsdo ... a.jpg.html

Also I have this old portable dvd player with super small speakers. I was wondering, is it possible to put these speakers in in place of the original speaker. Or would that just not work?

http://s801.photobucket.com/user/letsdo ... 9.jpg.html

It looks like that amp takes the two L and R stereo signals and combines them into one mono signal. It will work fine with the GameCube but you will have the disadvantage of mono sound in your portable with no stereo capabilities (the balance between left and right).

You can still connect it to a headphone jack pretty much like normal. The headphone jack has L, R, and ground. In this case, you would just connect the output of the amp to both L and R, so each side of the headphones you use would receive the same signal.

If you mean to take the speakers from the DVD player and use them on your amp, yes. They are tiny speakers, but those oval shaped kind in particular are high wattage, so they should be able to equate to what the bigger one on your amp does. Also, even though your amp has only one speaker, you could technically connect two speakers to the exact same output and they would just share the sound. It may be better to have two speakers in a portable even though it's mono sound.

So you mean to say I can connect the two speakers from the dvd player to the single live wire and ground of the amp?? Thats great!

I actually just finished testing the speaker. Sadly, when a high pitched note comes up, the speakers screeches and is not pleasant to the ear. Is there some easy fix to this or is it just the amp being bad (Grammar?)

You mean that it screeches only with the DVD player speakers? If so, that's a symptom of the speakers' wattage being too low. Perhaps they're not up to the job of a larger speaker.

No, I mean with the original speaker. I still have to test the other ones

It may be because they werent connected right (ie. I used 3 crocodile clips to connect the 3.5 connector to the gamecube motherboard) Some may have been touching or something. Could that be the cause of it?

Are you sure that the points on the headphone jack you wired to are correct? If the speaker works, then there shouldn't be any shortages, so it must be something simple (maybe the jack doesn't work at all).

There is one obvious thing, but it probably is nothing. It is REALLY hard to plug in the connector into the port

And I dont mean a little bit more effort. I mean I had to push as hard as I could to get it in. It goes in till the last few millimetres fine though. This is probably nothing...

The headphone jack was made for a stereo output, but that shouldnt matter right? I honestly dont know where to go from here, but Ill just keep on testing...

Since the jack is made for stereo, it'll have two audio pins, but of course those can be bridged and connected to one output like I said. So, as far as I see, there's no problem. Other than the jack. You should probably try to find a new one because, well, the jack you have doesn't sound very easy to use.

Back