HDMiKey

Σigma

Forgive me if this should be in the Wii Section...
Haven't seen it posted yet, so here's a link
http://www.hdmikey.com/

It's made by the wiikey devs and is basically an Upscaling HDMI adapter for the wii. Does anyone think it could be made to work with the GC as well?

Possibly but I doubt it. The Wii's multi AV outputs composite, S-video, and YPbPr (analog component). It's most likely taking the component signal and upscaling it. I wouldnt imagine composite upscaled looking good. S-video would be better, but still not outstanding. The issue with the GC is that it's multi AV can only output S-video and composite. Some GC's have a digital AV port, which outputs a YCbCr (digital component) signal. The issue is that it uses a proprietary connector, so you would have to solder to the pins to get a signal. That is because there was only one cable made for the GC to output component, and they are rare and expensive. The signal the GC outputs can't be used without coverting it to analog, and that cable has a chip that does just that. No one has found a solution to mimic that chip sadly. That's why I don't think this will work on the cube. Could be wrong though.

However, I may have found a way to obtain a component signal from the GC (as well as the SNES and N64) using the multi AV port. On the GC, it won't allow you to run games in 480p like that rare cable does, but only certain games supported that feature anyway. It will however provide the best picture relative to the digital AV cable because it will have better color separation than S-video and composite. This should also allow for a sharper overall image. I plan on working on this soon, and posting progress here.

Hmm. If you can do that, and if it turns out that this device doesn't entirely stink, then we may have a solution to getting a quality Digital signal out of non-digital port SNESs, N64s and GCs. Well, good luck to you on your component project.

Thanks! I wish there were some reviews for this thing, it seems it just came out. Hopefully it does actually scale the image, as some similar devices I have looked at only allow you to output 480p through HDMI.

old thread, i know...
but just to add info..

yes the HDMIKey works with GC
the only problem is the HDMIkey design converts YPBPR analog signal into digital HDMI

...and the only way to accomplish this on a GC is to use an MX chip...
the digital signals on the GC are YCBCR...
the MX chip converts the digital signal into analog YPBPR....
only then, then the HMDIkey can convert the analog signal back into digital signal...

its an ass backwards way of making it work on GC...but it does work...
and not worth any real benefit unless you really need an HDMI connection...

i soldered it up really fast a few months back just to show proof of concept so you can see some noise on the screen due to laziness...
but this is proof that it is possible...

img0295cw.jpg

My bad. I was browsing through the forums, and sometimes you lose track of how old they are. XD

Back