GBALite

mog123

This is a thing that stumbled on me by accident. My niece was playing her ds lite, and I was fiddling around my GBA(adding X and Y buttons) and I thought - a little rewiring, dremel and It'd fit. So I ordered a DS lite (white) case from DX and am waiting for it, as soon as It comes in the mail, I'll post pics. I plan to add a frontlight from the GBASP (already have 1) and the X and Y buttons will be a combination of (select + L/R). The speaker will be rewired on the left side (with holes drilled) and start select rewired on the right side. Also I plan on using the GBA SP battery. Any thoughts on this?

Here's a quick mockup done in mspaint:

mog123 said:
This is a thing that stumbled on me by accident. My niece was playing her ds lite, and I was fiddling around my GBA(adding X and Y buttons) and I thought - a little rewiring, dremel and It'd fit. So I ordered a DS lite (white) case from DX and am waiting for it, as soon as It comes in the mail, I'll post pics. I plan to add a frontlight from the GBASP (already have 1) and the X and Y buttons will be a combination of (select + L/R). The speaker will be rewired on the left side (with holes drilled) and start select rewired on the right side. Also I plan on using the GBA SP battery. Any thoughts on this?

I really like this idea, but I like most every gameboy mod; however, I want to warn you that DSL buttons aren't anywhere near as good as the GBA's and the cart will stick out. Also, I have for you two questions: what utility does select+ L/R serve, and why were you adding X/Y buttons in the first place?

Jewjo said:
mog123 said:

I really like this idea, but I like most every gameboy mod; however, I want to warn you that DSL buttons aren't anywhere near as good as the GBA's and the cart will stick out. Also, I have for you two questions: what utility does select+ L/R serve, and why were you adding X/Y buttons in the first place?

I'm thinking about soldering a supercard instead of the GBA port and just let the SD cart slot stick out, this will save some thickness and will allow me to pop in/out a sd card.
The X/Y buttons are for emulation reasons (SNES emulators for the GBA)

SNES emulation on GBA, lots of fun... no sound, graphical errors, half the games don't boot, you can't see the whole screen, and it's super slow. Wonderful!

Bibin said:
SNES emulation on GBA, lots of fun... no sound, graphical errors, half the games don't boot, you can't see the whole screen, and it's super slow. Wonderful!

Just like i like em.

mog123 said:
Bibin said:

Just like i like em.

And I still remember hearing on PocketHeaven that Heck had frozen over with that first release.

A little update!

I just got the case from DX. Unfortunately they sent me the rubber tacts from a DSi so I will have to order again.
I am amazed with the quality of the case. There will be a lot of work with the dremel. The thing that will require the most of the work will be the cartslot and the speaker seeing as how little space there is. I might even go with earphones only.
If anyone has a SLOT2 from a dead/ not working ds lite. I'd take it off your hands.
Anyhow I have exams this week, SO after that I'm getting to work.

Bibin said:
mog123 said:
Bibin said:

Just like i like em.

And I still remember hearing on PocketHeaven that Heck had frozen over with that first release.
Because being assy against other people's opinions make you 100% correct!

Time for a small update.

I've desoldered some gba sp components from a dead board that came with my frontlight :p . And I must say that the SP slot fits perfectly. Well It won't play GB/C games(the switch takes too much space) but that doesn't matter. I'm putting in some comparison pics. The board doesn't have it cartslot doesldered yet. I will take care of that as soon I have time. I've desoldered the LR buttons. The capacitors and linkport will be rewired for minimum thickness. Overall the only obstacle will still be the speaker. Does anyone know of any very thin speakers I could use? (like 1 mm or less?)

1001297q.jpg

1001296x.jpg

1001295f.jpg

1001299co.jpg

The smallest speaker I've seen are from a Maxell Carabineer Mini Speaker, and they are several millimeters thick.

I've got a speaker from the sp and it's like 2,5 mm thick (estimating, too lazy to go and measure) anywa. It doesn't fit itself, not to mention the board.

Another update.

I've managed to desolder the slot from the gba board. Now I need to desolder the link port (this one's a Playstation) and rewire the caps, audio jack and power switch and I'll be able to fit the board in.

Back