GameCube Pocket

Hey guys Its been a while. Finished up my last portable in march and I wanted it to retain that console feel. This time though I'm going for the handheld approach. I made a 3d printer a while back and fully intend to print a case for this one. So first thing that I have done is render the internals and arrange them as best as I can. Figured I'd share the renderings of the internals with you guys. This should include all chips, regulators, switches and tact switches. Only thing missing is low battery indicator circuit but I left space for it near the regulators.

I've done a crummy job in the past of keeping a decent work log, but I intend to do better this time.

So without further ado lets unveil these internals!

First up an isometric view

Face view

Side view

Back view

Rear Isometric View

So as you may have noticed I will be using 3ds sliders and for the D-pad and ABXY I will be using 6 pin 5 way tact switches. It'll be bound to have a different feel, but it is very compact. I may consider switching to standard tact switches for ABXY later though, well see after some testing of this type of lay out on some emulators.

Dimensions are hard to give as the design has a more trapezoidal side profile. but the front face is about 88mm tall by 148mm wide. (that is with length added for the impending case) near the front it will be 27mm thick and near the back about 41mm thick. I know thats not a lot to go on, but I will have more accurate numbers once I have a case fully drafted.

Wish me luck!

It does look very compact. About the ABXY switch, what will you do in games that require you to hold down more than one button? I do like the idea but it doesn't seem completely compatible.

It actually does allow for multi press as well (up to three at a time). Pressing In would be A, Left B, Up Y, Right X. So if you need X an Y, UP and Right. You need A and Y for a super missle in Metroid Prime? Press In and Up.

So it would be possible. I'm play testing though to see just how effective it is to play the games that way. If its not viable, I do plan on changing it up.

I did find four smaller momentary tact switches that will work ideally for ABXY so I will bu going for that option. Still working out how exactly I want the triggers to lay out. But for now bottom of the case has begun printing!

So do I keep it clear or do I go ahead and paint it?

There are some imperfections showing up in the print. So I'll probably have to do some surface work and then I'll paint over it. I don't think clear/bondo would be a good color pattern haha.

Back