Gamecube disk drive pinout wiring things

ShockSlayer

Probably SS
---OLD POST FROM MANY YEARS AGO---

Ok, Here's my notes on it:

The way I labeled the pins do NOT corrospond with the way they are labeled on the board. I didn't notice the labels until it was too late :o

The point of this is to find solder pads so its easier to extend it without bridging the points.

Picture One: DD mobo plug's pins (plug desoldered)
CopyofIMG_0015.jpg

Picture Two: Solder pads for DD mobo pins (bottom of board)
CopyofIMG_0019.jpg

Picture Three: GC plug pins (top of board behind memcard port 2)
CopyofIMG_0002.jpg

Pins 5 and 22 on the second pic I could NOT find a solder pad for(without it being very complicated). Just solder to the pins that go to the plug, or the holes that the trace goes through. I did all this because it makes it easier to get good connections and a good learning experience for knowledge on which points I do NOT have to solder wires to. :mrgreen:

The best solder pad for pin 23 is shown in picture one. Follow trace on Picture 2. It goes through the hole. :p

This reduces mobo to mobo wires from 32 to 21 wires :D

Connect these pins on DD mobo and GC mobo:

ALL GND: 21 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
OTHER: 17 18 19 20

Also, You may want to download the pictures to zoom in and get a better look.

SS

*waits for robm to do his jorb*

itspietime said:
sorry i know this is old :sweat: but its not exactly clear how this reduces the pins could someone please explain better

Fair enough man :) It reduces the amount of wires you have to use by bridging all of the ground or otherwise similar pins so that you can just use one wire for each similar signal.

so if i bridge pin 21 and 24-32 then wire it to ground i should be good right im just being careful because cuase i have 1 cube left

itspietime said:
so if i bridge pin 21 and 24-32 then wire it to ground i should be good right im just being careful because cuase i have 1 cube left

It shows 25-32 in the first post - those are all ground, so you'll need to bridge those and connect it to the same pins bridged on the motherboard :)

Jidan said:
itspietime said:

It shows 25-32 in the first post - those are all ground, so you'll need to bridge those and connect it to the same pins bridged on the motherboard :)

Im pretty sure that the one wire coming from the disc drive from the bridged ground can just go to one ground pin on the mobo, so you don't need to do a lot of bridging on the mobo.

Jidan said:
itspietime said:

i know that but that still leaves about 24 pins
also i am having a hard time soldering the wires to the dd and my wires are kind of thick about as thick as the end of a pen
any suggestions

Back