Friggin ribbon cables!

dmcnelly

I went to install the backlight in my MGB today, and everything went according to plan, except for the damned ribbon cable snapped. Not the cable itself, but the little metal pins at the bottom of the screen.

Basically, I'm trying to find a new LCD and failing miserably. If anyone's got a spare MGB LCD they'd be willing to part with, that'd be awesome. Even more awesome would be if you removed the reflector so I could just drop it in front of my backlight and be done with this headache. (PM me with an offer)

In any case, the backlight looks good, but obviously the screen doesn't (it's all black. :cry4: )

Not to sound like a noob but is MGB the Gameboy Pocket? I really don't know the codes for the Gameboys yet. :p

That would be correct.

DMG = Dot Matrix Game (or dah massive gameboy), the original Game Boy.
MGB = Mini Game Boy, the Game Boy Pocket.
CGB = Color Game Boy, the Game Boy Color

J.D said:
That would be correct.

Thank you for clarifying that up for me. :) Yeah I just started doing this stuff so I am still kinda new at it.

Toast did pretty much the same thing. You can't buy just the screen and anyone who has a screen usually has the case to go with it so they wouldn't be wiling to part with it. However what toast did was buy another MGB for as cheap as he could find and had it shipped to my house, I pulle off the polarizer and am going to mail it to him. You can too if you want. Takes me like a minute so i'd do it for free if you pay shipping. Just a thought. :D

ColtHardic said:
J.D said:
That would be correct.

Thank you for clarifying that up for me. :) Yeah I just started doing this stuff so I am still kinda new at it.

Why is your avatar somebody else's portable?

snowpenguin said:
ColtHardic said:
J.D said:
That would be correct.

He thinks that it's rad.

Onto that ribbon.

I did that too. Sometimes it's fixable!

Can you post a nice, non-blurry picture of the area that snapped?

I tried fixing it, but alas, I only wound up making it worse.

I've got a couple MGBs on the way from a buddy at work who doesn't use his anymore, so I'm not too worried anymore, but thanks for the help.

snowpenguin said:
ColtHardic said:
J.D said:
That would be correct.

Because I felt like making it my avatar. You got a problem with it? *Can'tSayThisOnTV* off.

ColtHardic said:
snowpenguin said:
ColtHardic said:
J.D said:
That would be correct.

Because I felt like making it my avatar. You got a problem with it? *Can'tSayThisOnTV* off.

That's a really stupid avatar choice. You *Can'tSayThisOnTV* off.

But, seriously

Bibin said:
Sometimes it's fixable!
Can you post a nice, non-blurry picture of the area that snapped?[/b
]

ColtHardic said:

I'm just gonna step in here. If bentomo(the creator of the portable) has an issue with it being your avatar, I'm going remove it.

If you have an issue with this then use PM's and contact me.

Otherwise, stay on topic.

SS

Bibin said:
But, seriously

Bibin said:
Sometimes it's fixable!
Can you post a nice, non-blurry picture of the area that snapped?

Aye, I would, but I already tossed it. Got another MGB in today that was in great shape. Got the polarizer and the adhesive off the screen without damaging the ribbon cable and everything, it looked great!

Then I put the case back on and the LCD cracked right down the middle. Needless to say, I'm done with the backlighting projects for now. I've got one MGB left, and it's the purple, Japanese one. Not worth the risk.

You can easily replace the motherboards, bibin sells his limited edition shells for 30 or 40 bucks each.(real limited edition, not just a transparent purple)

mako321 said:
You can easily replace the motherboards, bibin sells his limited edition shells for 30 or 40 bucks each.(real limited edition, not just a transparent purple)

Though I have that color too!

Currently I have:

Metallic Blue
Clear
Atomic Purple
Pink
Grey DMG-themed (complete with light grey bezel and red buttons)
Silver (not even close to rare)

Purple Japanese isn't rare very much.

mako321 said:
I would buy that grey one if you had the money. You like trading?

Depends on what it is! PMs are better for this though, since this isn't the junkyard.

Back