First N64p: need help with some elements of my idea

Bush

sweet justice
Hey everyone! This is my first post on the forums, though I have been checking the site out for awhile, after following a link on one of SS's youtube videoes. I have really been wanting to make a portable, and I am about to recieve an N64 from a friend. Due to several circumstances, I have had to take a more unique approach to my portable. Here is my plan:

I want to try and solder as little to the board as much as possible, so I can use the AV out for use on a tv, as well as my screen. My screen will be a 7in portable dvd player that will be self sufficient on its own battery; it also has two headphone jacks and stereo speakers. It doesnt use much battery when not playing a dvd, so it should work fine. I also want to be able to remove it from my unit, as I dont actually own it, im just borrowing it lol. However, this is alright as the units overall size is not an issue. I will connect the composite cables directly from the N64 port to the dvd player; ill find a way to tuck them away/shorten them. I intend on leaving all 4 controller ports on and also having a built in controller. It will not be hardwired, but I will leave the plug hanging out around 2in on the bottom in order to plug it in on bottom. This is for simplicity as well as so that an external 1st controller can be plugged in. I may make a slot to slide it into when not in use. Based on my idea, it should be layed out like an N64 on its back with the controller ports on the bottom. Im thinking about a cartridge relocation mod to put the cart slot flush with the system (like a gameboy) and I will include an expansion pack, although I may leave it in its original postion so that it lies flush with the cart slot above it. My biggest concern is the battery system. Since im not soldering the AV crap to the board, im guessing I have to run full power through it (12v?) as well as installing the 3.3v resistor thingy which shouldnt be a big deal, but id greatly appreciate help because i need it in this area and for the controller. Thanks guys!

Re: First N64p: need critique on my idea

wow...way over my head.
you want to solder as little as possible yet you want to relocate the cartridge slot and expansion pack and not solder a/v or battery power?
and if im reading this right you do not want to take apart the dvd player in any way?

Sorry lol. Well Ive decided to keed the whole n64 the way it is, except to add an internal controller and possibly rotate the slot 90 degrees to become flush with the system, as well as adding the battery of course. I realize now how rambling and confusing that was, so think of it this way: the dvd player is an external monitor, dont worry about that. I will be adding a controller to the back of the console, and on the top will be the cart slot, power button, etc. I will not be relocating the expansion pack, though i may strip it down and put heatsinks around it. The console will be laid out just like normal, besides these modifications. All i need help with is making the controller and powering the system as if it were non-portable. Sorry for the confusion; look at shockslayers 11th commission video on youtube, im drawing a bit of inspiration from that, except my controller will be on the opposite side.

Accidentally double-posted here originally. Stupid ipod.

power wise will the screen have its own battery or will there be a common one between the n64 and dvd player?

So you don't want to solder 2 power wires, 2 a/v wires and 3 controller wires, but you are fine soldering 50 cart slot wires?

I don't get it.

Can you create a mockup in MSPaint or something? I assume you want to make an N64 close to my WIP N64:
NINTENDOSIXTYFOUUUR.jpg

I don't think anyone here actually understands what you want to do.

Once again im really sorry everyone. To make this simpler, ill make some sort of diagram as suggested. The reason I am not soldering the AV to the board is because I need the original output for use on the dvd player or a tv. NOTE: The dvd player will be removable. It has its own battery and power source, and i have no need tobmod that in any way. As for the card slot, im reconsidering that, i may just leave it be. To Jewjo, that looks eerily similar to what i had in mind, except mine would have the controller ports on the bottom. However, if you dont mind i was wondering if i could follow ur idea more closely and use your layout for the system? If so that might also help people understand what im saying better. I hqve every intention to solder the battery system in, and im thinking about using an internal controller with a 1st player switch, but i need to know how to do that; and ill need a lot of help later on when I have to power the thing. Sorry for the confusion, but I really do aporeciate any opinion on my idea. Ill be adding some sort of layout or diagram later on, but for now could someone give me the dimensions of the system on the bottom, I need to know:
- width of the system at its widest
- width of system in its middle
- width of system at its slimmest
-overall length of system
ill post a diagram of what i need (measurements) within an a hour as well as the layout for the portable. Thanks everyone!

Why can't you just take everything apart and put it in a polycase?

Several reasons i guess lol. Well the console is pretty sturdy, i dont care about size, it was meant to fit in there anyways, plus it has holes for all the ports,slots, etc. Im also very lazy, and this is my first portable. Just figured id keep it simple, and im planning for this to double as a home console. I can see all the functionality I want in another case, but this works for me and keeps it simple. I also like how the n64 looks anyway lol.

Not to slam your design, but it seems like you would have a lot easier time pulling off what you want to do if you basically had an N64 with a folding screen on top.

Well im not really in the market for screens, and the dvd player is laptop style (and 7in of awesome lcd glory). Ill be sanding a slot for it to sit in where the white lines are on my mockup. Its not gonna be to pretty, I know, but its a very unorthodox portable, or at least an overly simple one.

TBH, this is a very lazy portable design. Get off your ass and do some wiring, soldering, and make a case.

this is obvious, but does the dvd player you're using have a composite input? wait, STOP. if you don't know what composite means, you'd better just stop the project right now, you won't get far at all without the expense of a few n64s. I'm sorry if I seem like a jerk, but in your heart you know it to be true. [/12 year old wisdom]

If the dvd player accepts composite input, I would honestly suggest just making a portable with a new case. Frankencasing on the n64 is probably going to be as much effort as frankencasing a polycase. You already have a screen, a battery, a system, and probably solder and a soldering iron.

This type of work is not for the lazy, unless you're very experienced and lazy. If you're able to relocate a cart slot, then you should be able to create a complete portable.

Im aware what composite is, if I didnt I wouldnt attempt this. I will be doing soldering for the controller, battery, probably the expansion pack, and probably the controller pak slot. TI have been planning this out for quite some te. I have experience in soldering and electronics, and for like the fifth time people, theres a reason I dont want solder the AV (OR COMPOSITE TO MAKO321 WHO THINKS IM AN IDIOT) cable, and thats because I dont own the dvd player, and im not connecting it to its board. It has composte inputs and I will be using those. Id rather use the n64 case because it can accomadate the dvd player and it is already set up nicely. Please, no more comments about my design, i just need help with the battery, and controller. If youd like to help with that, id appreciate it greatly. However, people seem to not be reading my explanations thoroughly and are making false assumptions about what im attempting to do. Again, please no more comments about my design unless it has some fatal flaw that will absolutley not work. Thanks.

You can find the psone screen that SS used in his portable n64 on ebay for $43. It'll save you room, have a better resolution, and not stretch the image wide screen. If you won't modify the dvd player, then I'm also willing to bet you can't afford to break it.

About the controller, it only has three wires that go to the console. Check the sticky for the diagram.

Also, the expansion pak is a beast to solder. Don't attempt it unless you know you need to do it.

sorry, but I HAVE seen some idiots who have no idea what they're talking about when they start their portables, ending up quitting after failing miserably.(or having the portable consist of having stuff inside a rubbermaid box with all the original cables inside plugged into the unmodded console, maybe with the power cable replaced with a battery) I just wanna make sure. I hope this works out for you though :awesome: (now that you passed the idiot test) I just hope for god you have some 30 awg wire for the exp pack :gonk:

Back