Do It Yourself GAMEBOY Flash Cartridge - Custom Electronics

Gerry_MAN

Hi Folks, :mrgreen:

I'm trying to collaborate with other Electronics Hobbyists working on Flash Carts. I'm currently working on a Flash cart for the SEGA GameGear. I just completed one for the Gameboy. My Background is in Electronics and Robotics. I'm still having some issues with the FLash interface, but I'm making progress which is motivating. I'm also working on one for the Sega Genesis.

I find the main problem I'm having is getting the proper ROM chip pinout connections. Allot of the available connection diagrams found online, are put together by other hobbyists and are not always 100% accurate. But regardless, I'll be getting it functioning soon.

Anyone else an avid Electronics Hobbyist? I would love to trade research if anyone is interested.

I have just recently completed a 5 part Instructional Video that shows how to build a Standard GameBoy Flash cart. It also covers Flash Programming procedures using a Willem Programmer and an ATMEL AT49F040 4Mbit Flash Chip or (512Kb of memory storage).

I will be putting another video together for the Genesis Flash Cart version as soon as I finish. But would love to chat with others that have successfully built similar models.

The video below is PART 1 of 5 for the GAMEBOY Flash Cart:

I look forward to your replies,

Regards,
-Gerry

Yo, I'm a big time hobbyist and would-be Electrical Engineer.

I've actually looked a great deal into what you're doing now.
I've been programming for years, and when I started programming for the Gameboy and Gameboy color, I wanted to be able to test my results on actual hardware.
I originally planned on making my own Flashcart, but ended up buying one.

The simple reason being, space.
I'd LIKE to make a Flashcart with 32M Flash Memory, so it would be capable of storing ANY Gameboy or Gameboy Color ROM.
It is the largest size supported by MBC5.

Issue being, the only chip I've ever seen used for that, is an AM29F032B.
Which I cannot find.
I just can't get my hands on any.
The ONLY source I've found in an eBay seller that wants over $16 each for the things!

I've even had trouble finding other 32M Flash storage chips!
I've come across a few, but nothing still in production, save for one Intel chip.
My biggest issue is I'm not even sure if these others would work!
From what I've read, it seems in the past people were insistent on certain chips, but I really don't know why, and it's scared me halfway into believing that there are some specific requirements that I don't know of.

I've seen your videos, actually, you did quite a nice job.

I think we'll get along just fine, and I'm more than happy to give or receive help.
I've TONS of old Gameboy related documents, including Schematics and Info for different Flashcarts and Programmers for them.

That's funny you mention the 32Mbit Flash chip.

I'm actually right in the middle of designing my PCB adapter in Eagle for use with a 32Mbit FLash chip.
It's the AMD AM29F032B chip. I actually got these of an eBay auction a few months ago for around $10 each. I purchased 10 of them to start off.

Which MBC5 Cart do you think would be my best bet to use for a GBC Flash cart?... for RAM and a Backup Batt and such. I
I have a black "Frogger" cart that has the MBC5 chip on it, but it only has the ROM and the MBC5 chips and no additional RAM.

I'd like to make sure I use a cart for the best all around performance.

Do you have any CART PCB scans? I did find a guy that had quite a collection of PCB Scans for the NES.

Anyhow, I may end up using this FROGGER cart for my GBC cart to start.

TTYL
-Gerry

Legend of Zelda DX!
Perfect MBC5 Cart to use!

And I don't have Cartridge PCB scans...
I do have cartridge schematics though, for making your own MBC5 flashcart.

Edit: HA! One of the good ol' Surplus sites I use for components, I've known they have AM29F016D chips in stock for forever, and cheap to at $1.89 a piece!
BUT, I just went in to check on their stock...
And they've got Intel E28F320J5's in stock! For $2.99 a piece! This is GREAT, I know for a fact these have been used in Flashcarts before. (Both homemade and Commercial. In fact, Bung used the 64-Mbit version of this chip in their largest Flashcart!)
And, calling up a friend of mine who actually is a professional, he found a supplier of AM29F032B chips as well! Unnecessary now with access to these Intel chips, but still VERY good to know!
About $7 a piece, but they're from a proper supplier, not just some little hobby shop or something, there's no minimum order thankfully, but the process isn't as kind as ordering from a Surplus site :rolleyes:

Regardless, *Can'tSayThisOnTV* YEAH.
I'm ordering up some of each right now :p

This is perfect! I've been wanting to know if i could make one myself to put those homebrew and hacked games on carts. Thank you!

Sweet!! that's great R00man.

Are you thinking of making your own Layout copy of this PCB for creating your own boards?
That would be pretty cool. Allot of work, but would be pretty sweet.

Thanks again for the Scans.

-Gerry

I've actually begun work on a MBC5-based Flashcart, using the AM29F032B or AM29F016B chips.
It is entirely single-layer, making it cheaper to produce, and easier to produce from home.

@R00man

Ahhhh YES!! I hear you man, and feel your pain.

Just go sell some stuff on eBay and earn some paypal credits. That's what I always do. :)
Your Junk is someone's prized possession. I knew a guy that would get old used magazines for free from different dental offices and Doctor offices as their always just throwing them out. We would then go through them all looking for articles and Photos of different Celebs. He would list them on eBay as a collectors item for that particular celebrity and was able to make it his day Job, he was making allot of cash.

I personally wouldn't want that as a Day Job but to make some cash on the side from home is nice. :)

Anyhow, just an idea.
-Gerry

@jleemero

Nice!

I'm also in the midst of getting a 32Mbit cart built. I just finished Etching the PCB for interfacing my 40 PIN AM29F032B.
See the photo below. It's essentially just for connecting the interface wires.
It's working out so far.

FLASH%2032Mbit%20PCB%20adapter.jpg

I'll keep you posted.

-Gerry

Depends on your MBC.

No reason NOT to use MBC5, almost every Gameboy Color game used it, and it "technically" supports up to 64Mbit.

64Mbit is 8MB.
No Gameboy game that I know of exceeds 2MB.
So, it's a bit overkill.

MOST Flashcarts, in the past anyway, were available in 16M, 32M, and in a couple of cases, 64M.
Of the ones still made?
Well, 16M and 64M :p
64M is overkill, 32M is plenty, 16M is enough.

Ha, nope.

64M carts, with associated "menu" programs, can't hold very many games.
If they were all early, simple games, well, I suppose it "could" handle up to about 32 or so.
Those would be small games though.
Pokemon games, most good Legend of Zelda games, these were 16M.
Barely fit 4 on the HUGE 64M carts!

The workaround to this would be a mass-storage capable flashcart.
Bleep bloop developed one, but he's sort of, well, disappeared, for now anyway.

I've actually started some work on one, though it probably won't go far beyond prototype.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I checked Pokemon Crystal, and it's 2MB (16M), which is what you said. So 64M is pretty much the maximum size for a chip, then?

Well, no, but it's the largest size the MBC5 Controller you find in Gameboy Cartridges can use.

Technically, you could use a much larger chip, of virtually any size, and a CPLD or FPGA emulating a MBC5, to interface with it.
From the standpoint of the Gameboy, it would be like communicating with a MBC5 and a chip the size of the game (8M, 16M, whatever).

Use of a CPLD or FPGA in this way would be one way to accomplish using sizes larger than 64M.

One could also use a CPLD, FPGA, or quite possibly a microcontroller, to interface between a MicroSD (Or SD, CompactFlash, whatever) card, and a storage medium.
CPLD/FPGA, MBC5, SD Card, and a Flash Chip (like other flashcarts) or RAM Chip (What I would use!)
The setup using a MCU would be slightly more complicated, as it would also need a Bus Switch, and another Flash/EPROM/EEPROM chip. (At least, as I imagine it.)

The MCU Variant: When the Gameboy is turned on, the program on the Flash/Eprom/Whatever is loaded.
The program is able to retrieve information from the MCU about what is on the SD Card, and displays a list of files (Games).
When the user selects a game, the MCU flashes it, from the SD card, to the Flash or RAM Chip.
The Gameboy's reset line is pulled by the MCU, the MCU activated the Bus Switch, and the Gameboy's reset line is released.
What happens, is now the Gameboy is reading from the RAM/Flash that was just burned with the game from the SD card.
Bam, SD card Flashcart.

The other (Better IMO) way, would be with a controller (CPLD/FPGA).
When the Gameboy is turned on, the CPLD/FPGA sends a loader program, the same way a ROM/FRAM/EPROM/EEPROM/WHATEVER would.
The CPLD/FPGA send info to the program about what is on the SD card.
When a game is selected, the CPLD/FPGA then flashes that game to the Flash/RAM Chip ( I would use RAM, near-instant loading!!! ).
It then resets the Gameboy, using the reset line, and then let's the Gameboy read from the Flash/RAM chip, where the game now is.
Better SD Card Flashcart.

I'm leaving out a lot of details of course, I'm in no mood to get into this, but this gives you a general idea of what would be involved in making a cartridge that can hold more than a handful of games.

Well this is very interesting. Can you elaborate more on the CPLD/FPGA controller sd flash cart when you're in a mood to get into it?

Back