DIY xbox 360 Headset.

Hrduncan

alright so since i just acquired an xbox yesterday from bits and pieces ( bought it on ebay rrod) i was playing online and decided that i needed a microphone headset to talk to my friends. i didnt want to blow 20$ on a xbox 360 headset or pay 2$ for a crappy one on ebay.

so first i found myself a headphone jack that fits into the 360 controller. its one from an old phone headset when they used the 2.5mm headphone jacks i think.
10_30_6.JPEG

so next i found the pinout for the headphone jack-in
10_30_4.JPEG

the tip is the microphone

the center is audio for the headset

and the llast one is ground

after that i soldered the microphone to the tip of the jack
then i soldered ground to the last ring
then i soldered both the speakers to the middle ring

after that i tested it and sealed it with hot glue and heat shrink tubing
10_30_5.JPEG

upside is you dont have to spend 20$ downside is you dont have mute or volume control.

on the downsides, I'm sure there's a way to put in a little volume pot or something. Good job though. looks great

I love mods that allow you to not spend money for a commercial product. Makes you feel good that you don't always have to buy things to get what you want.

Yeah, for mute, just put a SP-DT slide switch on the mic and speaker lines, and for volume control, I'm not 100%, but put a pot with resistance close to that of the speakers with the middle pin hooked to the sound line, the right pin to the speakers, and the left to GND. Should work, but this is just in theory...

might try that but i dont want to open up the headset again ill probably end up getting a better one if i can find a "broken" one on ebay.

I'm pretty sure you can just buy 3.5mm-2.5mm adapters, but this is more elegant and didn't cost you anything, so nice job.

Back