DcMc's GCP 2.0 (I'm actually going to build this one)

DcMc

I'm building a GCP.

Features:
  • ZN-40
    Wiikey Fusion
    5 or 7 inch screen (depending on how I do the controller)
    4 player, with switchable internal/external 1st player
    Video out
    Revision C mobo
    Expansion Slots
    SD Gecko?
    Battery?

I will try to post pics later tonight. I need ideas for the expansion slots. I took two wall plates that have the square holes for cat5, rca, coax, etc, and dremeled them out and frankencased them in. I want to use one for video out, what should I do with the other? It would be cool to use cat5 and use it for an external gameboy player maybe. I don't know how feasible a gameboy player is though. Would it be compatible with the wkf?

Here is what the expansion slots look like:

21AzHQkBNLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

5663315061_b449d7af79.jpg

EDIT:

I had an expansion slot idea. Use cat5 for a server-client type thing. So you would have the host portable, and then another smaller portable looking thing that has a screen, controller, and audio that uses a cat5 cable to connect to the host.

I'm pretty sure the gameboy player works with the WKF. Some other comments...

Expansion idea thing is exactly this : viewtopic.php?f=33&t=107
7" Screen won't fit on a ZN40 with integrated controls.
Internal battery in a ZN40 without trimming (hence, no Rev C) is pretty close to impossible.

Otherwise, good luck.

Yeah I'm going to use a 5 inch screen.
Sony, that's a good point.
I just did some painting. Looks pretty sexy. I might get around to uploading pictures tomorrow

DcMc said:
5663315061_b449d7af79.jpg

EDIT:

I had an expansion slot idea. Use cat5 for a server-client type thing. So you would have the host portable, and then another smaller portable looking thing that has a screen, controller, and audio that uses a cat5 cable to connect to the host.

http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28633
LOBGC?

You know, you could just unscrew the connector and drill out a hole for it, or buy a panel-mount connector from radioshack that will have less coming out the back.

Wall boxes have significantly more free space than a portable.

2cskK.jpg

Just painted the back. 1st coat. I'm still going to have to add L/R buttons to the back and I haven't even started the front of the case. Those square holes are the expansion slots. One for video, I still need suggestions for the other one.

SonyQrio said:
All the ROM on the GBA player disk is is an emulator.

Incorrect. Assuming that we're talking about the Nintendo GBA player, the disc boots straight to it, and it's basically a GBA with video out.

Good God, you layed that paint on heavy. :O

I think adopting the LOB64 for gamecube would be a good idea, tbh. Assuming you're willing to build the expanded systems.

That's not how you paint. Putting on layers that thick will make the holes for your parts smaller and therefore they won't fit. Light coats is where it's at. Maybe you should take a look at a spray paint tutorial

Thanks Bud, I'll do that.

I have the smallest AG polycase, I might build a LOB64 (LOBcube?) client out of it

An GC slave unit would be pretty neat. All you'd need is a screen, controller, and an audio amp.

I would attempt to make it LOB64 and LOBGC compatible, just in case.

But then again, I'm not likely to ever build one.

I think that LOB64 wouldn't work for interoperability as the N64 controllers use different analogs/have different buttons. Otherwise, a GC slave unit sounds like a neat idea.

So should we call it LOBcube or LOBGC?

I will work on a slave unit after I finish this portable

My soldering iron died. :cry: So it might be just casework for a few days. I will post pics tomorrow morning.

I will wire the slave unit like so:
(cat5)
Pin 1 - ground
Pin 2 - 3v controller line
Pin 3 - controller data
Pin 4 - video
Pin 5 - Audio L
Pin 6 - Audio R
Pin 7 - ~12v for screen/amp
Pin 8 - Whatever else you need (5v rumble, etc)

I would give the slave it's own power source. That would let you follow the lob64 pinout, and prevent a significant decrease in power consumption when using multiplayer.

IF making it lob64 compatible as well, I would have a GC and n64 controller board in the shell, with the n64 controller modded to use a gamecube analog, the gamecube face buttons becoming the c buttons, and two "extra" face buttons for n64 a/b... Or something along those lines...

Back