CubefusionPAL how to calculate the total Amps for power draw

Gamerlolwind

hay everyone,
I'm having an issue with my battery life, I'm aiming to have 2hrs or more (maybe 3hrs)

i spoke with zeldaxpro yesterday on Facebook on this matter, he helped me alot.

but if need to know what battery mah i'll need to each the hrsi want, i need to know teetotal Amps my system with everything.

i mean if i know the total Amparge of the Modded (gc) with wiikey fusion installed, screen (4.3 inch from ebay), amp (tchay audio amp).

so, here's what I'm using:

4.3 inch screen: Operating Power: 9-24v (DC)
Current consumption: 3W (MAX)

Wiikey fusion: 3.3v, anything else?

GC: The individual voltage lines on the GC draw as follows:

1,9v (GPU) - 3.4 Amps
1.9v (CPU) - 3.1 Amps
3,3v - 0.8 Amps
5.0v - 0.3 Amps (note that the 5v line is ONLY used for the disc drive motor,5v memorycard line and 5v rumble line for controllers nothing else!!!)
12.0v - 0.05 Amps (without fan, sound only!)

right?

also my portable uses a custom reg of 7.4v?:

IMG_0885.jpg

Tchay audio amp or LM386: 5V.

right?

also, now how do i calculate the Amperage for each device listed here?

can someone help me out?

Re: CubefusionPAL how to calculate the total Amps for power

From batteryspace.com

Battery capacity is depended on how long you need to run your device ( hours ), which can be calculated as the follow:
( Ah) = Device's Wattage (W) x Time to run ( Hours) / Battery Voltage (V)
For example, if using a 12V battery pack, and run 10W DC device for 10 hours, you need choose a battery pack with capacity > 8.3Ah, e.g
( 10x10)/12 = 8.3

Power (In Watts) = Voltage * Current (P = V * I)

Gamerlolwind said:
Watts is not a measurement of "current draw" however if you are running the screen of 12v then using the equation lexxion83 mentioned you can rearrange it to P/V = I. So 3W/12V = 0.25A = 250mA. You can then add all your current measurements up and determine what capacity you're batteries need to be. For example if it was a total of 2A then if you wanted it to run for 4 hours you would need 2A * 4 hours = 8Ah batteries. Pretty much what lexxion83 said I just wanted to mention about the current consumption in Watts, it's ludicrous!

Even the best laid math of man can still go waylaid.

If you have every thing wired up then just grab a multimeter and measure the current draw. Much easier.

HardOtto said:
Gamerlolwind said:
Watts is not a measurement of "current draw" however if you are running the screen of 12v then using the equation lexxion83 mentioned you can rearrange it to P/V = I. So 3W/12V = 0.25A = 250mA. You can then add all your current measurements up and determine what capacity you're batteries need to be. For example if it was a total of 2A then if you wanted it to run for 4 hours you would need 2A * 4 hours = 8Ah batteries. Pretty much what lexxion83 said I just wanted to mention about the current consumption in Watts, it's ludicrous!

thanx for the formula, man :)
works great,
like so:

the speaker i used for the tchay audio amp has 0.1W,

0.1W/5v= 0.02A,
right?

superben51 said:
Even the best laid math of man can still go waylaid.

If you have every thing wired up then just grab a multimeter and measure the current draw. Much easier.

um, never thought of that, sounds better than doing all the math from scratch :)
so, i just plug the multimeter's + and - plugs into the gc's power switch board?

i mean to mesure the current draw with everything connected (gc/wiikey/screen/amp).

Either try to centralize the power lines (eg. Using the GC power brick to power everthing) or test each component and add them all together. Also, if you hook the meter up to the voltage and ground, you'll short/kill it. What you have to do is cut a wire and connect it to one plug of the multimeter then connect the other plug to the other side of the wire you just cut. A lot like a switch.

you have to measure amperage in series. So you'll have to disconnect one of the battery terminals and put it into one probe of the ammeter and then put other probe of the ammeter goes where the battery terminal would normally connect.

Hay guys,
I have added up my amps for everything in my portable to get the total amparage.

Total amparage:

GC: 3.4 (GPU) + 3.1 (CPU) + 0.8 (3.3v) + 0.3 (5v)

Plus

Screen (4.3): 0.25 (12v)

Tchay amp or Lm386: 0.02 (5v)

=

7.87 Amps

Or

A X 1000 =

7.870 Mah.

Is this correct?

So if I use my battery of 7.4v at 5000mah

How many hours can I get?

And how many mah do I need to have a total of 2.5Hrs?

Gamerlolwind said:
Hay guys,

If your calculations are correct, you can power the portable for about 40 minutes with 5 amps. Something doesnt seem right here.

bugman said:
Gamerlolwind said:
Hay guys,

If your calculations are correct, you can power the portable for about 40 minutes with 5 amps. Something doesnt seem right here.

What? 5000mah give 40 minutes?
I'm using a pack of two 7.4v li ion batteries at 2500mah each.

Packed together give 5000mah.

Are my calculations correct? Maybe I missed or forgot something?

Also is the 12v line used for the fan? Cause my fan isn't the stock GC one but a ps2 one.

Also are the individual voltage lines for the GC correct? I got these from the info zenloc gave on the gc's power lines.

Since I'm using a custom reg of 7.4v, does that affect the voltages for my GC? I mean like
CPU/GPU, 3.3v, 5v, etc.

Also here's the info ashen gave me for the custom reg he installed on my GC:

Ashen said:
The custom regulator will run fine anywhere from about 6v-12v power input.

Also the 4.3 screen from ebay I got, bugman told me this useful info:

bugman said:
No, the screen can run on as low as 6v. Use 7.4v just to be safe. The gc regulator has a wide input range of something like 12v-14.8v.

Ebay screens have a 7805 inside them. This is a voltage regulator that brings higher voltages down to 5v. So with a tiny modification, you could bypass the 7805 and run the screen off of 5v if you wanted and you wouldn't need a regulator for the 12v for the sceen.

For a GCp, you want atleast 5000 mah of battery life, that gives you a little more than 2 hours.

If my calculations are correct or not, how many mah's do I need to get 2.5hrs like tchay did for the envision? That's what zeldaxpro told me, tchay used 4 batteries or two, don't remember how many to get 5200mah so he got 2.5 i think hours.

How can I do the same?

If your GC is drawing 6 amps, then something is wrong. The standard adapter is only rated for 3A.

A Gamecube/Sound/Screen will only pull around 2.25-2.5 Amps.

5000 mAh batteries will last around 2 hours.

superben51 said:
If your GC is drawing 6 amps, then something is wrong. The standard adapter is only rated for 3A.
He GC is fine, its his math that is wrong. You can't add amps if the volts aren't the same (well, you can, but you end up with something that is wrong). Hail's estimate is probably about right.

1,9v (GPU) - 3.4 Amps
1.9v (CPU) - 3.1 Amps
3,3v - 0.8 Amps
5.0v - 0.3 Amps (note that the 5v line is ONLY used for the disc drive motor,5v memorycard line and 5v rumble line for controllers nothing else!!!)

Lets try this:

1.9V * 3.4A = 6.46 Watts
1.9V * 3.1A = 5.89 Watts
3.3V * 0.8A = 2.64 Watts
5.0V * 0.3A = 1.50 Watts
12.0V * 0.05A = 0.60 Watts

Total Watts: 17.09 Watts

So for the Formula:

Ah = (Watts * # of Hours) / Battery Voltage

Ah = (17.09 * 2 hours) / 7.4V (Assuming 7.4V is the main line)
Ah = 34.18 / 7.4

Ah = 4.619

or 4619mAh.

So, in conclusion a battery of 7.4V @ 5000mAh should get you +/- 2 hours. ***

*** I do not take responsibility for incorrect calculations :)

lexxion83 said:
So, in conclusion a battery of 7.4V @ 5000mAh should get you +/- 2 hours.
The way you have written "+/- 2 hours" makes it look like he will get + 2 hours or - 2 hours of battery life. :awesome:

lexxion83 said:
1,9v (GPU) - 3.4 Amps
1.9v (CPU) - 3.1 Amps
3,3v - 0.8 Amps

Lets try this:

1.9V * 3.4A = 6.46 Watts
1.9V * 3.1A = 5.89 Watts
3.3V * 0.8A = 2.64 Watts
5.0V * 0.3A = 1.50 Watts
12.0V * 0.05A = 0.60 Watts

Total Watts: 17.09 Watts

So for the Formula:

Ah = (Watts * # of Hours) / Battery Voltage

Ah = (17.09 * 2 hours) / 7.4V (Assuming 7.4V is the main line)
Ah = 34.18 / 7.4

Ah = 4.619

or 4619mAh.

So, in conclusion a battery of 7.4V @ 5000mAh should get you +/- 2 hours. ***

*** I do not take responsibility for incorrect calculations :)

also, does the screen/audio amp add to the Mah time?

and i can use a 5000mah battery for sure 2hrs? maybe more?

or to be sure of a 2hrs or more battery run time i'll need more than 5000 mah's like a 6000 mah battery or a 6300 mah one?

Anything that needs voltage to run draws some current.

Depending on the size of the screen etc (Manufacturer usually says how many watts or Voltage and current ratings).

I am not sure if I am doing the calculations correctly but the screen and audio amp WILL have the impact on the overall run time since they will add to total Watts used in the system.

Anyone else has a take on this?

lexxion83 said:
Anything that needs voltage to run draws some current.

Depending on the size of the screen etc (Manufacturer usually says how many watts or Voltage and current ratings).

I am not sure if I am doing the calculations correctly but the screen and audio amp WILL have the impact on the overall run time since they will add to total Watts used in the system.

Anyone else has a take on this?

okay, so the screen (4.3) gives 3W,
the amp Tchay audio uses a spacer of 0.1W.

so, 5000mah battery pack i currently have (not modded to 5000mah (parallel),
im hoping to give me despite the total Watts, around of 2hrs or so.

i can always get a 600mah or 6300mah single pack to increase playtime to 2HRS or more if need be.
as i have the items on ebay and they don't cost that much, like 26.something euroes + free shipping (hong kong rocks) on free shipping :).

so these are alternate possibilities, if the 5000 mah pack doesn't cut to 2hrs or more (2.5hrs).

sounds good, eh?

Back