complete noob question (RCP?)

Pik4chu

what the heck is 'RCP'? I see it mentioned often in various threads but nothing ever really explaining what it is. Really sorry if this has been answered but ive read back through the 8 pages of searches for RCP with no luck. From what I've gathered from context it has to do with a method of wiring or rewiring a game board but beyond that Im clueless. Would someone care to fill me in with an explanation, example pictures or even a guide perhaps? Much thanks. :confused:

No, that is soldering to the RCP. The RCP is the N64's GPU (graphics processing unit) of sorts, although it could also do limited algorithms and the like. The RCP stands for Reality Co-Processor. This is because when the N64 was first developed it was called "Project Reality", as it would be Nintendo's first debut into the 3D gaming market, which is much more realistic than it's 2D counterparts.

Wiring directly to the RCP/CPU can save space in an N64 portable, because you can then cut off the entire section off the board. But there is no such thing as RCP'ing, and the word RCP by itself has no relationship to this modding process.

Yes, but he asked what an RCP is, as in the noun, not the verb. Your word shortening is confusing people. Franken-words are gross.

Atari said:
Yes, but he asked what an RCP is, as in the noun, not the verb. Your word shortening is confusing people. Franken-words are gross.

Pik4chu said:
From what I've gathered from context it has to do with a method of wiring or rewiring a game board but beyond that Im clueless. Would someone care to fill me in with an explanation, example pictures or even a guide perhaps? Much thanks. :confused:

Sure, RCP is a noun. Sounded like he was asking for a verb to me, though. "RCP" is used most frequently as a shortened version of "RCP wiring"

EDIT: There are plenty of nouns used as verbs. It's just part of common speech in a lot of places.

This is true. But now he knows what it really means, apart from the special case on this cite and Benheck. He learned two things, instead of just one.

Atari said:
This is true. But now he knows what it really means, apart from the special case on this cite and Benheck. He learned two things, instead of just one.

:dah:
sharing_knoledge.jpg

Atari said:
If you're going to be a stickler about semantics, I want to play too.

If we want to learn 3 things today, I'll tell you that rcp wiring involves not only to the cpu and rcp, but also to the PIF CHIP!

Back