Cleaning up harddrive, need duplicate file sorter.

ShockSlayer

Probably SS
Yeah, so, I'm cleaning up my harddrive, gonna try to get all of my data into one place so that I can back everything up easier.

I've noticed through my periodic use of "Everything" that I have several duplicates of the same thing, namely music, from silly things like backing up SD cards and all that. I want to get rid of all those duplicates and just have one copy of each file in, basically, a large archive.

So, if I could find something that would, say, find all of my duplicate .mp3 files, delete all but one of them, and put them all into one folder, that would be perfect.

I googled a bit and found that there are programs that can do this, however, most of them are "free trial" versions and the like. I'm sure I could keep looking and find something, but I figured maybe some of you have gone through a process like this and perhaps found a good free program or two and can point me in the right direction.

Any input?

SS

It might be easier to go through with individual file type sorters. Like duplicate file finders for pictures, for music, etc.

Plus, with that way you can have the programs check for differences, with whatever algorithms they use, to see if they are actually different, not just same name.

Back