Building a GCp (The GoCube) (Worklog)

Wes

Ok so I have decided to make my very own Gamecube portable and am super pumped to start, I have read up on many of the posts and work logs and have a slight understanding of how to do this. This will be my first portable however, so I will definitely need some help along the way. I do need some help though on what to do for running the games optical drive vs. wiikey fusion, which is easier for my first time and all that.

Also is kasars guide a good place to start for someone like me? http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php ... 98&start=0

I will be using a Ps1 screen in this project unless you have other (better) options.

Thanks for your help, Wes

Re: Building a GCp (The GoCube)

Welcome to ModRetro! I'd say read the megasticky and try to acquire as much knowledge as possible before beginning your portable.

I'd go with the WiiKey fusion, it's equally as difficult to wire up if you use a breakout board and it's smaller.

You can use the PSOne screen if you have enough room in your case.

Good luck.

Re: Building a GCp (The GoCube) (Worklog coming soon)

Hi SonyQrio thanks for replying, a few questions about the wiikey though, how much more does it cost? The reason is I want to keep the budget low, but if its not that more expensive then I will go with the wiikey also isn't the wiikey limited in the games it can play?

Also one more thing, should I take apart the gamecube now that I have time, and then wait for all the other parts of it (screen, case, batteries, etc.)?

Thanks, Wes

Re: Building a GCp (The GoCube) (Worklog Coming Soon)

If you're going to trim the gamecube, definitely start now. That way you don't have to wait as long for the first new one to arrive...

If you aren't going to trim the gamecube, but are pulling off ports, and solder like me, definitely start now. That way you don't have to wait as long for the first new one to arrive...

Basically, yes. Set up a rig for testing it out, and start with what you have. You will likely save a lot of time that way.

The WiiKey, on an NTSC board, can play every game except for Luigi's Mansion, as far as I know. So, it shouldn't be a problem. It will cost about $40 for the wiikey and $10 for a breakout board + shipping.

Cool, doesn't sound bad :)
Worklog 1:
2/13/12 Got the gamecube taken apart and getting ready to continue on.

Thanks, Wes

Well I removed all the ports and am going to relocate the regulator board. Also what batteries do you recommend? And should I go ahead and order a Psone screen or buy something else? Thanks and I will start posting images soon.

Thanks, Wesley

Figure out what case you are going to use, then buy a screen

What revision is your board?

good luck

You should definitely use 2 batteries. Using a third battery will take up more space and only increase the battery life by a small amount. If you use 2 batteries, it will be much cheaper and you'll have more room/less weight to your portable. However you will need to build a custom regulator (don't worry, it's not to difficult)

Here are some links:
3.7v Batteries - http://www.batteryspace.com/polymerli-i ... isted.aspx
7.4v Protection circuit - http://www.batteryspace.com/pcbfor74vli ... limit.aspx
7.4v Smart charger - http://www.batteryspace.com/smartcharge ... isted.aspx
Custom regulator information - viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2844

Be sure to read over the whole thread about the custom regulator because it will give you a better understanding as to why you need it and what it does. (it helped me)

Wait whats wrong with the original regulator? Also I am ordering the batteries and going on to find a case :D

Thanks, Wes

Finished hooking up the regulator board and now going to get the controller to work.

Thanks, Wes

Ok so what case should I get, note (I don't have advanced experience in cases), but I can learn, I do have a dremel, and I would prefer a landscape type case. I have heard that the ZN-40 and 45 are good/bad cases and wanted to know if either of those are fine since it's easy to mod those. Thanks you for your recommendations.

P.S. Got my Psone screen :) and the wiikey should be on the way with the breakout board.

Thanks, Wes

Ok so I am almost finished wiring my breakout board and the wiikey will be here tomorrow so I am excited for that :) Also I need some help on choosing the best case, should I use the AG-85, ZN-40, or ZN-45? I really need to know which one will work best so I can order it.

Thanks, Wes

I chose a ZN-40 as my case and it's proving to be a tight fit. A ZN-45 would be a lot easier and it'd give you plenty of extra room for things like expansion ports and low battery indicators.

Back