Blogging: I broke my ankle!

PalmerTech

Founder of Modretro
Staff member
Got tackled while playing a game by two buddies, my ankle got caught between a concrete paving stone on the edge of the grass and a knee. :mad:

So yeah. Discuss.

w00t! first post!

had to point that out. XD

so, that sucks. now, if you are like me, you went out and played football again today, right? :awesome:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Eagle_(game)#Variations
Controversy

"His neck was flexed forcibly while his head was against the floor, and immediately after the injury he had severe pain of the cervical spine ... [which] shows that games such as British bulldog can be as dangerous as rugby football."
British Medical Journal, June 1985

The game has always resulted in slight injury, such as cuts and grazes, owing to its rough nature, but when schools started to fear more serious injury and legal action, many took the decision to ban the game. One such serious injury was reported in the British Medical Journal in June 1985, reporting a child had suffered a spinal injury whilst playing the game. Some schools decided to discourage the game, others implemented an outright ban. A 2008 survey of one thousand children by the British National Children's Bureau revealed a third of them had been banned from playing the game. Although no national ban was agreed in the United Kingdom, many schools feel that health and safety laws and regulations leave them no choice but to ban the traditional game.

My sister broke her ankle back in May. She was on crutches for a few weeks, then had to wear a walking cast for a month or two. It sucked, so I hope you'll recover quickly.

Query: How is this different from the other "blogging" threads made by normal users that have been immediately locked?

Meh, I'm fine with blogging posts, myself, just as long as they're not too spammy in nature - like, "lol i stubbed mah toe XD". Breaking an ankle is at least a semi-serious matter, so this would qualify as such.

Oh, people could get hurt, so let's ban it.

Figures.

We always played a lame tag version, yet people still managed to get hurt all the time.

Caredo said:
Query: How is this different from the other "blogging" threads made by normal users that have been immediately locked?

Feel free to point to those threads here on ModRetro. ;)

I cannot remember any recent topics that were locked for blogging, we are actually pretty open as far as that goes.

If you really want a difference, I guess me owning the site would make a difference. If I end up in any situations that might impact my ability to run the site, best to inform you guys. :p

Never broken a single bone in my body, woo!

Sucks for teh palmerz, :gonk:

palmertechbrokenankle.png

SS

PalmerTech said:
Caredo said:

I cannot remember any recent topics that were locked for blogging, we are actually pretty open as far as that goes.

If you really want a difference, I guess me owning the site would make a difference. If I end up in any situations that might impact my ability to run the site, best to inform you guys. :p
Digging through the archives, I realize I was thinking of BenHeck. I can't find any evidence of a blogging thread being locked (save the Shigeru Miyamoto thread which was locked by Bac), so I take it back.

I can't agree with the "because I own the site" attitude at all, though. It reminds me of an old forum I used to frequent, where blogs were a feature. One of the admins decided his life was more important and pinned his blog just because he was an admin. It contained nothing about the forum except the occasional "Oh, I fixed <insert minor detail here> on <insert forum skin no one ever uses>." Other than that, it was plain blogging. There was no need to pin his, and yet he did so because of his rank.

If everyone is allowed to post blogging-typed threads, that's fine. Also, come on. A broken ankle isn't going to affect your ability to manage this site, nor is it like there aren't a bunch of other people already doing so.

Aaaanyway, ON-TOPIC TIME WOO: Worst I've ever had is a sprained ankle. How bad does a broken bone feel, anyway?

Caredo said:
Aaaanyway, ON-TOPIC TIME WOO: Worst I've ever had is a sprained ankle. How bad does a broken bone feel, anyway?
well, it really depends on how bad its broken. a hairline fracture hurts quite a bit, but only when you move it. if you shatter the bone, or split it, it will be constant, excruciating pain. hence why they give you vicadin.
and, if you do one of the tremendously awful spectacular ones where the bone shatters, and stabs out of your skin all over and stuff, then it really doesnt hurt, until about 3 days later, when you wake up in a hospital bed with tubes all over your body, and little beepy machines, and you go to sit up. then it hurts so bad, that you ppass out again. :gonk: :awesome:

Caredo said:
PalmerTech said:
Caredo said:

Digging through the archives, I realize I was thinking of BenHeck. I can't find any evidence of a blogging thread being locked (save the Shigeru Miyamoto thread which was locked by Bac), so I take it back.

Yeah, we are pretty loose. :awesome: I agree that this has almost no impact on the site, but if people refrain from REALLY stupid blogging with no potential for discussion (I liked the "lol i stubbed my toe" example) then I see no reason to not blog.

Broken bones do not hurt themselves, it is the impact it has on the surrounding tissue. I was actually able to keep playing because the adrenaline dulled the pain, but it was Heck later.

Back in the day, someone took a swing at my face with a 9 iron, it detached my jaw on the left side, and left it hanging by the skin on the right side. That sucked a lot.

Left me with a badass scar, though. :p

PalmerTech said:

Back in the day, someone took a swing at my face with a 9 iron, it detached my jaw on the left side, and left it hanging by the skin on the right side. That sucked a lot.

Left me with a badass scar, though. :p

I'm almost afraid to ask but, why?

Long story.

The guy who did it was expelled from his school district for a separate crime though. It was him, not me. :lol:

Back