Before it becomes the shack, I go on little shopping spree..

Jourdy288

Yep. I'm on a bit of a budget this week (around five bucks) but they're getting rid of electronic components at Radio Shack.
My dads server needed a fan, I gave him one of mine, but it was the wrong connector. He went down to Radio Shack and got a fan with a heatsink for two dollars. Keep in mind this is a server-grade fan...
So what should I get? Microcontrollers? Something frivolous like LEDs? Any ideas?

Your Radioshack is taking away components? That sucks. That whole issue way back when that they were changing names and whatnot was bogus, I went to mine and they said components would never go away and "The Shack" was just an advertising campaign.

snowpenguin said:
Your Radioshack is taking away components? That sucks. That whole issue way back when that they were changing names and whatnot was bogus, I went to mine and they said components would never go away and "The Shack" was just an advertising campaign.

I was under this impression as well.

No, some of them are doing that, but it is up to the individual manager if they want to stock them now. Several of the ones I have been to are getting rid of the electrical components section, and the only way to get them from the store is to order them in from the site.

Bribe the managers.

But seriously, in all honesty, if you're just saying I've got money and will buy from radioshack before it's all gone, don't. If you don't need this stuff right now, which I assume is correct since you don't even know what to get, unless it's all going on sale, don't waste your maney at radioshack. The stuff there is junk, and you can get it for the same price shipped at other places online but for far better components. I only use radioshack so I can get the stuff now, but that doesn't seem like it will be a problem for you.

Here in Canada we have The Source, which is like Radioshack but even worse. It's not so much that the stuff is bad quality, it's just that it's unbelievably overpriced. You want a 7805? Five bucks. Also, the selection sucks. Sometimes stuff comes on sale really cheap, but usually it's junk. Sometimes I find stuff that way though.

Anyway, you're better off buying from an electronics parts supplier, brick-and-mortar or online.

Well, the trouble is I lack a Paypal account, and probably won't get one anytime soon, and I can't think of any Brick-&-Mortar stores around me that sell this kind of stuff... It looks like Radio Shack is cutting off the end of it's tail...
So seriously though, the sale prices are deep in mine, so what do you think I should pick up that I'll be needing plenty of?

Just get whatever. Motors are good, get a few of the resistor sets, some plugs maybe, switches, LEDs are nice, battery holders, some voltage regulators, maybe a few 555 timers, other ICs, project boxes, perfboard, etc. Wire. You get the picture.

This really sucks about radishack. I mean, come on. The shack? what kind of name is that? It's just like how pizza hut is becoming "the hut". I hope my Milford radioshack is still going to carry parts. I think I'll call tomorrow.

:facepalm:

It is not being renamed, nor is Pizza hut (or is it...?) It's just a promotional shindig, just like their 14 foot tall laptops

I can understand the Radio Shack name change, but Pizza Hut changing to The Hut? That's just stupid.

XCVG said:
Here in Canada we have The Source, which is like Radioshack but even worse. It's not so much that the stuff is bad quality, it's just that it's unbelievably overpriced. You want a 7805? Five bucks. Also, the selection sucks. Sometimes stuff comes on sale really cheap, but usually it's junk. Sometimes I find stuff that way though.

Anyway, you're better off buying from an electronics parts supplier, brick-and-mortar or online.
Think of it from a business standpoint. The only way radio shack can make money from small components is by having the price higher due to package costs, cost of product itself etc.

They would make a lot more money from components if they weren't so overpriced- well from me anyway.

Back