Ashen's N64p ~worklog~

Ashen

GameCube Révolutionary
Yea, so here's what I've got so far:

IMG_0071.jpg

Fusion rev. 3 case, all fits nicely. As it stands right now, I can fit in 3 2600mah cells next to the board equaling 11.1v 2600mah. Though, IF I were to cut here:

dbb16796-2.jpg

I could potentially fit in a 7.4v pack @ 5400mah. Has anyone ever done this trim successfully? It looks totally possible, but I'd like confirmation before I kill a board for no good reason.

It'd be snug, but it would fit:

IMG_0072.jpg

The rev. 1 64Drive Marshallh sent me is a bit thicker than I thought it would be (8mm'ish).

IMG_0073.jpg

For an extra 1cm I could have an external cart slot, which seems like not such a bad idea. Thoughts on this?

Edit: Oh yea, N64 controllers faking suck to work with. Apparently, they don't do things the same as a GameCube controller as far as the analog stick goes. I've got a superpad (not the plus version) here and no matter what I do the 3DS slider, or any other analog stick for that matter, doesn't work right. I didn't realize this before, but on the superpad (not sure about other pot based n64 controllers) the pins that are normally used for ground and data (on a GameCube controller) are bridged and connected to voltage on the superpad, the leftover pin is used for that axis's dataline. Odd. Anyone gotten a 3DS slider working on a 64 pad? If so, what type/brand?

Re: Worklog ~Something~ 64

YOU ARE USING WIDESCREEN FOR AN N64. THAT RUINS IT.

Also, you really should try for a 3.5in screen portable, they're not too much more difficult, and and I know you can do it.

Oh, I don't think I noted it in my reference file, but it's not hard to trim the bottom right corner off, as I have indicated here. It's just the power circuitry for the RAM, which I easily recreated with a TI PTH08080. It puts out 2.54v, which I did label in my file.

pw7sS.png

I knew that the "widescreen" thing would kill this for you Betameister, I'm sorry. :/

In all honesty the stretching bothers me exactly 0%, and I can always switch to 4::3: mode on this screen if it does. I actually do have a 3.5" screen here but it seems so tiny, I actually prefer the screen space the 4.3" screens give, even if it does distort the image a bit.

ydrspobisxn5f'340y9.,iskiosei'4f'0935f0d

But it's wrong. :cry:

Did a bit of searching around for a solution to my controller problem. Found these things:

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Controll ... dpp_ttl_in

The stick looks just like the original N64 stick, but mechanically underneath it is based on the same technology as the Gamecube controller sticks

Apparently this thing comes with a little board that translates pot based movements into flax that 1st party Ninty controllers can understand, which I'd rather use than a 3rd party one anyway. Problem solved.

I have a couple of those, they aren't very good. Input is laggy, and it very obviously doesn't feel right. You can tell it's an imitation, it feels cheap, and is all-in-all a pretty poor replacement.

I think if your using the 64 drive you should go for a much smaller portable. we all know you capable of it

Got my replacement analogs yesterday. Tried em out and I have to say they seem responsive enough to me. I can pull off combo's in SSB and spin attacks in Zelda, so good enough IMO. I haven't tried them with the 3DS analog yet, but I'm positive it'll work just fine. I'll admit, the analog stick/cap combo that comes with this thing feels cheap and wonky. I could give a flax though, I just need the adapter board.

MB pictured above I couldn't get working after the RCP, so I hit it with a hammer a few times. Try again soon.

Ashen said:
MB pictured above I couldn't get working after the RCP, so I hit it with a hammer a few times. Try again soon.
I like your style. ;)

Looking sweet man... and I'm digging the 4.3" cause that's what I prefer using myself 3.5 feels tiny but ok.. 4.3 yum!

Nice work so far, I always love seeing you're craftsmanship. Bummer about the N64 MB not working though, a minor set back all the same. :D

IMG_0528.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

IMG_0533.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

I know, I should be making PS2p video's or something.

That looks wonderful! How thin is it? It looks like its 2 cm. What happened to using a 64drive?

Thx man, the main body of the portable is 25mm. It'll still use the 64 Drive, just externally. ;)

Seriously though, the free 64 Drive Marshal sent me has proved to be a bit unreliable. I've had to open it and flux/resolder the CF pins twice now because of loading errors. Just didn't feel it was reliable enough to put inside. Still, for free I can't really complain. :D

If and when I build another It'll have a built in Everdrive/64 Drive, depending on how much cash I have at the time.

Back