Am I the only one who's not thrilled about Windows 7?

Twilight Wolf

Frequent Poster
Seriously, I really don't see the big deal about it. Now, keep in mind that this is coming from someone who isn't tech-savvy enough to care about all the little bits and pieces most people don't care about in a given OS, like coding, etc. I'm a pretty good example of an intermediate PC user, someone who knows their way around a computer fairly well but doesn't get deeper into it than that - one of the people Windows 7 is being marketed to. Having used the RC for a few months now, I can honestly say I have found nothing about Windows 7 that makes me want to dump Vista for it. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad OS - not at all. But neither is Vista. Sure, maybe it looks a little prettier and it has a few neat features (I am fond of the changes made to the taskbar), but I'm sure that stuff could be made available in Vista if Microsoft really wanted it to be. In my experience, Windows 7 isn't faster than Vista, it's not more stable, it's not more reliable, and neither is any software that I'm used to running on Vista. In fact, I have had more problems with Windows 7 in these past few months than I ever had with Vista in two and a half years. For the sake of example, I find myself having to reinstall the drivers for my USB keyboard and mouse (both of which are Microsoft products that claim to be compatible with Windows 7) once a month or so because they simply change overnight and refuse to work properly any more, and without any outside tampering by me. It's not like they don't work to begin with; they work 100% as they should, as they did on Vista, until they just... don't. I don't even so much as look at my settings for these devices any more for fear that doing so will screw them up, and yet it happens anyways. I've also begun to experience the issue of my computer forgetting my wireless connection settings, so I've had to manually reconnect it and re-enter all the security information and connection settings in order to use my wireless internet. My audio card drivers have the nasty habit of changing themselves randomly, too. Pitiful.

In summary, I cannot understand why Windows Vista, which was and still is so reviled by so many people for so long for reasons I cannot comprehend, especially when I never experienced most, if any, of the myriad problems it was supposed to have, when essentially just reskinned and given a new name, becomes the best thing to hit PCs since Windows 1.0. This is why I do not buy into all the Windows 7 hype and am simply going to install Ubuntu once the Windows 7 RC expires and then most likely just reinstall Vista after that, unless I really like Ubuntu.

That is all. If you're going for Windows 7 when it comes out, why? I'd honestly be interested in hearing your reasons.

P.S. Fun fact: Opera's spell checker thinks "internet" isn't a real word. Lawl.

I suppose I should clarify - my question was more directed towards the people who are abandoning Vista in favor of 7, which I think is idiotic. If you have XP, upgrading to 7 wouldn't be a bad thing, though you could probably get Vista more cheaply.

Twilight Wolf said:
I suppose I should clarify - my question was more directed towards the people who are abandoning Vista in favor of 7, which I think is idiotic. If you have XP, upgrading to 7 wouldn't be a bad thing, though you could probably get Vista more cheaply.

>more cheaply

Oh you. :dahroll:

According to Amazon.com:

Windows Vista Ultimate: $160.00
Windows 7 Ultimate: $219.99

$60 isn't that bad of a savings.

Besides the beastly amount of RAM Vista uses, I've never found any problems in Vista, and I honestly don't know why people hate it so much. Works great, looks great, and reliable.

Yea I have Vista Ultimate 64bit on 4 Pc's and have found it a lot more reliable than XP ever was for me.

With XP I got the Blue Screen of Death a lot. With Vista I have gotten it twice.... On 4 Pc's since it's been released.

A ram hog? Who cares ..ram is cheap and I loaded my pc's up :)

IMO, Ubuntu Linus is the most reliable operating system I've ever used, but the fact that it isn't nativity compatible with most Windows applications kind of set me off.

Win7 is too expensive. Also, it's not that big a jump from Vista. And yes, it should have been released as a service pack but instead they wanted to milk more money. Why is Vista hated you ask? Because when it was released it was crap. So was XP, but people seem to have forgot about that.

I'm sticking with XP. I fail to see any reason to upgrade to Vista or Win7. XP is reliable, stable and fast. Sure, it may not have the glitzy interface, but I don't really care anyway.

My computer cannot run Windows 7 or Vista.
My computer runs: XP, Xubuntu, OpenBSD, and Solaris.

I think the reason most people hated Vista is because of the massive amount of resources that it uses.
I wish I could upgrade to Win 7 though. Win 7 looks amazing and runs smoothly (Or at least it did when I tried it at my friend's house.)

lolsolaris

Beta - *Link removed*

Apparently there's a "...you can download it here" link thing on that page. According to SP, it's a virus, so don't download it m'kay? Otherwise the page is pretty funny.

And who downloads links from ED?

Is there anything wrong with THE TRUTH?? lololol, kidding of course

Twilight Wolf said:
In my experience, Windows 7 isn't faster than Vista, it's not more stable, it's not more reliable, and neither is any software that I'm used to running on Vista. In fact, I have had more problems with Windows 7 in these past few months than I ever had with Vista in two and a half years.

I'm not sure why you've been having all those problems with Windows 7, but I'm assuming its because you were running the RC. I'm running the Retail/RTM version, and its been a dream for me. I also had Vista Ultimate before, but there's absolutely no way its faster than 7 Ultimate, and I haven't really had any issues with compatibility. Most Vista drivers work fine on Windows 7, and in fact most people agree that 7 is actually compatible with software that did not work correctly on Vista. Also keep in mind Windows 7 is new, when Vista was new it had A LOT of issues that over time MS fixed through patches and SPs, and developers updated there software to work better with Vista. So overall, I'd say Windows 7 is a great OS, and has impressed me a lot more than Vista (and I really did like Vista) in terms of speed, features/graphics, and compatibility.

(However I will admit I actually didn't like the new task bar all that much and didn't want to take the time to get used to it, so I made it look more Vista-like)

Sound wouldn't work with Windows 7 RC on my laptop, and none of the drivers helped, and it did not display correctly, so I just said "Well, it's that time of the year again" and looked at my shelf of operating systems.

Back