3DS at CES

I'm gonna start hacking that joystick as soon as people start selling it as a part. Assuming it's not going to be integrated into the board.

3DS is kind of neat, but I'm just not as drawn to it as others are. The games aren't really that exciting to me, I don't give a Dang about 3D, and it looks harder to hack. I might buy one if it's cheap enough and hackable (software-wise), but there are other things I would rather buy.

XCVG said:
The games aren't really that exciting to me

Have you seen the list of announced games? What else do you want from an unreleased system?

I have to agree with him, though. Nothing coming out of Nintendo has really caught my attention since the backlit GBA. V
bh_icon_neutral.gif
V

All the release titles are remakes or things I'm sure wouldn't be good. (Well, other than MGS3 but that's ONE game)

Remember the PS3's launch titles? Oh wait, it had no games :trollface:

But yeah, the 3DS really is lacking a killer app at the moment. A lot better then the DS's launch titles though.

mymixed said:
I have to say this. BoFoSho you have 999 posts.

- mymixed
No, you don't have to say anything. You'd have 10 posts if you posted things that add to the conversation, are relevant, progressive, or otherwise helpful.

mymixed is better than some, J.D.
You're one to talk.

Back on topic after this post or I'll start throwing my toys around.

I'm still excited for the *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing 3DS.
I'm a cigarette for 3D stuff, I'll enjoy this thing, I can put it in my pocket, and that's just lovely.

J.D said:
Remember the PS3's launch titles? Oh wait, it had no games :trollface:

But yeah, the 3DS really is lacking a killer app at the moment. A lot better then the DS's launch titles though.
Kid Icarus is intended to be the flagship, and I would say OoT looks like it could be the killer app

A Gamespot employee told me that when the 3D is turned off, the "graphics are as good as the 360" does anyone know if this is BS or not?

Well based on the screenshots, the graphics look great. With 3d off, images would be smoother. The screens res is like 800x480, which splits to 400x480 for each eye in 3d, im not sure if it would scale to 800x600 when off.

CamaroCam said:
A Gamespot employee told me that when the 3D is turned off, the "graphics are as good as the 360" does anyone know if this is BS or not?

Sounds like a Nintendo fanboy looking at it through rose-colored glasses to me.

There's no way that little thing can crank out graphics equal to the 360. It probably uses some texture filtering or bump mapping to make up for low-poly models. Having a small dot pitch on a low-res screen helps graphics look smoother as well. Judging from Nintendo's portable consoles of yesteryear, it's probably somewhere between the N64 and Gamecube in terms of power, leaning more to the N64 side.

The 3DS is bound to have a much less powerful processor, less texture memory, less system memory, a weaker GPU, and certainly less available disk storage than the 360. It's fixed at 800 or 400 by 480 resolution, so it has no reason to store textures anywhere near the 360's resolution.

Besides, that would mean it's far superior to the Wii. :trollface:

Actually according to leaked specs it leans more to gamecube, dual arm core processor with both clocked at 266 so 532mhz.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/22/rumor-3ds-tech-specs-leaked-digital-foundry-analyzes/

Of course those are just rumors.

However what I've heard from E3 were people were comparing the graphics on mario kart 3ds to double dash. I think it's going to have some good graphics for a small gaming device.

I'm am very excited for a new paper mario though. That's pretty much all I'm following.

I'm also looking forward to Paper Mario. But yeah, the graphics are supposed to surpass the Gamecube. The graphics will look worse with the 3D on than with it disabled, by the way.

Back