3.3v Switching regulator question.

pkmnjunky7

In short, how many amps does the 3.3 line on the n64 pull? I'm wanting to use this regulator

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/de-sw033.htm

But I'm afraid of it overheating. I think shockslayer said something about the 3.3 line peaking out at like 1.7, and if this regulator can only handle 1.25, I could be in trouble. I already own said regualtor and have tested it and had no problems, but I haven't played for more than 20 minuntes with it.

Anyone have any suggestions? I know I can use the regulators from TI, but I was just wanting to use this one if possible. I could even buy another one of these regulators and wire the two of them in parallel for more current, but if I do that I'm worried about the voltage level changing...

Yeah, but all you have to buy is a resistor and a capacitor, a Heck of a lot cheaper than that, in any sense.

Edit: Oops, just saw that you already had it. If you own it, just run a 4 player multiplayer match of perffect dark with all players a bot, and then see if It shuts off.

ToastBucket said:
use a PTH08000. They're guaranteed to work and are free.

I know I can use the regulators from TI, but I was just wanting to use this one if possible.

READIN SKILLZ.

lol. I ordered one a couple days ago, I'm still waiting on it. I was wanting to know about the dimension engineering regulator because I already have it, so if I can use it I would rather do that than wait on the sample from TI. Looks like I'll just wait for my TI sample at this point... :cry:

I fail to see why you would prefer to use a regulator that costs $15 and MIGHT work over one that's free and definitely works. Don't be so impatient. I'm still waiting for my squishy tacts.

pkmnjunky7 said:
ToastBucket said:

I know I can use the regulators from TI, but I was just wanting to use this one if possible.

READIN SKILLZ.

lol. I ordered one a couple days ago, I'm still waiting on it. I was wanting to know about the dimension engineering regulator because I already have it, so if I can use it I would rather do that than wait on the sample from TI. Looks like I'll just wait for my TI sample at this point... :cry:

I never completely read long posts. They intimidate me.

pkmnjunky7 said:
ToastBucket said:

READIN SKILLZ.

That regulator will most likely work. The plus side of the thing is that its easy to wire up, and if dimension engineering had samples, I would definitely use that instead. They make quality products, and their LM7805 replacement switching reg is very efficient and has never failed me in any of the 3 applications I've used it in, one of which drew just above an amp (max rating) at peak, yet didn't cut out.

Don't stress over it.

XCVG said:
I fail to see why you would prefer to use a regulator that costs $15 and MIGHT work over one that's free and definitely works. Don't be so impatient. I'm still waiting for my squishy tacts.

I understand where you're coming from. My spring semester just started last week and I dont have a lot of homework due yet, but that will change quickly, so I'm trying to finish this as quickly as possible. I purchased the dimension engineering regulator initially because the sample system was down on www.ti.com, and I figured if I was going to have to buy one I'd rather have the one from dimension engineering

Back