2/06/10 Worklog of almost done. See first post.

Re: Miscellaneous N64 questions

1. I use 30 gauge wire and I find a contact area that is back farther from the pads. You have to use a meter and find where the trace leaving the pad goes and solder there.

2. Cuz that's the way uh huh uh huh they like it uh huh uh huh.

3. See that spot that says "load" and "charge". You hook the systems positive and negative to that positive and negative. And you also hook the chargers positive and negative to that positive and negative.

hailrazer said:
1. I use 30 gauge wire and I find a contact area that is back farther from the pads. You have to use a meter and find where the trace leaving the pad goes and solder there.

2. Cuz that's the way uh huh uh huh they like it uh huh uh huh.

3. See that spot that says "load" and "charge". You hook the systems positive and negative to that positive and negative. And you also hook the chargers positive and negative to that positive and negative.

Double thanks.

1. And if I don't have room for that? The squishy thing takes up most of the right side of the board. :p Would drilling a small hole and sticking the wire through to solder work? This way, I would only have a small glob of solder obstructing my buttons versus a wire.

2. Brilliant! :tophat:

3. You mean attach both the alligator clamp things from the charger and the wires going to the N64 to the same two spots at once? I'm not sure I follow what you're saying.

Jewjo said:
3. You mean attach both the alligator clamp things from the charger and the wires going to the N64 to the same two spots at once? I'm not sure I follow what you're saying.

The positive going to the N64 and the positive going to the charger attach to the PCB P+.
The negative going to the N64 and the negative going to the charger attach to the Pcd P-

Alright, so I'm wiring up my N64 now and if everything goes well, I'll be done very soon. However, not everything is going well, unsurprisingly.

1. I've wired up the batteries to the protection circuit in what I assume is the correct way, but I'm not getting power.
prot.jpg

Batteries go to B+, B-, and Com; P+ and P- goto the PH8008080808whatever.
Anyway, when I check the power on my multimeter, B+ to B- gets ~12; B+ or B- to Com gets ~6; P+ to P- gets nothing. I don't think that that's normal at all and I don't know what the problem is. Is is possible that my protection circuit is faulty?

2. I've been following this diagram for my wiring:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14556
a. Where on this would I include the power switch?
b. What gauge wire should I use for the whole thing? I'm using a fair size (I'd estimate it to be ~16-20), but the wires that come with the PSOne screen are really tiny. Will that size suffice for powering the screen?
c. Finally, my PH80800008080thing has only three leads on the left side and the one in the diagram has four. Did I order the wrong part? I can probably get the model number of mine if needed.

Thanks, preemptively.

Re: Miscellaneous N64 questions (New questions as of 11/30)

Your batteries need to be wired in series. The positive of the first battery goes to B+ , the negative of that battery is connected to the positive of the next battery AND to the com on the pcb. Then the negative of the second battery is connected to the B-.

You will then get a measurement of 7.4v on the P= and P-

Why would you be getting 6v and 12v, I thought you were using Lithium poly batteries which are 3.7v each.

hailrazer said:
Your batteries need to be wired in series. The positive of the first battery goes to B+ , the negative of that battery is connected to the positive of the next battery AND to the com on the pcb. Then the negative of the second battery is connected to the B-.

You will then get a measurement of 7.4v on the P= and P-

Why would you be getting 6v and 12v, I thought you were using Lithium poly batteries which are 3.7v each.
Yup, I did that.
I just realized that I was measuring amps or something. I just switched my multimeter to DCV and got ~3.7 and ~7.4. I'm still learning how to use the thing. :rolleyes:

Edit: When tested with the B+/B-/Com, my P+/P- sometimes get voltages in the range of ~1-3, but those dwindle down to nothing quickly.

You're only getting negative voltages because you're putting the multimeter's COM lead on P+ and its volt pin on P-. Just switch 'em. :p

Basement_Modder said:
You're only getting negative voltages because you're putting the multimeter's COM lead on P+ and its volt pin on P-. Just switch 'em. :p
No, those are tildes used to indicate approximate values. :p

I thought it would be something like a rubix cube...

In soviet russia, CubeGame plays you!

About the joystick having 6 wires, there are two grounds. It's because of the photodiodes.

ubernoober1477 said:
(Crummy picture of my CG controller)
What's a CubeGame?

its a special gamecube model only sold in soviet russa
I saw that there were new posts in this thread and foolishly though that my questions had been answered. Instead, I'm the one answering questions.
D_Pad_CG_2.jpg

While cleaning my room, I tried to hook up my fried N64s on a whim. Astonishingly, both worked! So, this project is now officially resumed. Now that I know how to fix protection circuits, I was successfully able to hook up the batteries to the N64. I'm about to work on the screen now. No pics until I'm done probably, sorry. :)

PS: Do I really need heatsinks? I have the stock square things, but I don't own any heatsinks and I don't want to go buy any.

I've hit a roadblock with the PSOne screen. I seem to have wired it incorrectly, as it won't turn on. Is there a good pinout diagram floating around anywhere, preferably of the underside of the screen? On top of that, I can't get the N64 to work on a TV. :\

Note: I wasn't able to get the PSOne screen to work with the wall power either. What am I doing incorrectly? I'm closer than ever and keep hearing the opening song to Paper Mario!

Do do
da-do-dum-do
da-do-do-do-da-do-do
do do
da-do-dum-do
da-dum-do
do-dum-da-do

Back