Zenith big black capicator

Hey guys just came over from ben heck and had some questions about the zenith xbox screen, it has a big black 1000 uf capacitor attached to where the +5 volts would go, should i remove this and do i still need to run the + 5 volts to that spot.

No, Do not remove this, it will (ive heard) make the screen garbage. Also, there are about 3 spots on the screen.

There.

On the 7805

On the spot a the bottom, far left pin on the left port on the bottom of the screen.

Sorry to act retarded but theres also a red wire coming from the component to the right of the +5 volts spot. Should i still use this posotive feed or another one.

The capacitor isn't there in the original psone screen and it works fine, so obviously it's not a requirement, it's there as extra protection.

I fired up the screen and the volume and brightness on the screen is off centered. There is also a high pitch frequency. Is this because i havnt put the +5 volts to where it should be?

Did you take off the Capacitor? and the inverter always makes a high pitched sound.

Is there Video and Audio?

snowpenguin said:
The capacitor isn't there in the original psone screen and it works fine, so obviously it's not a requirement, it's there as extra protection.

Yes it is, it's just SMT and it's located elsewhere.

am i understanding you correctly that you are talkin about the capacitor that is located toward the bottom of the screen? not the one that is on the upper left corner of the back of the screen? if you are referring to the one on the bottom, that is removable. i remove it from all my zenith screens. and they all work wonderfully. the smaller black capacitor in the upper left is necessary. do not remove that one unless you are relocating it. :D

I will concur that the 1000 uF cap is removable, since the screen has been tested to work without it (though it would be nice to know if reattaching it had any positive side effects).
Also, I will say that this is a bypass capacitor since it is on the output of the voltage regulator. Perhaps Zenith placed it in order to ensure a constant fixed 5V, thinking that the xbox input would affect it. It's these times that make me wish I had access to an oscilloscope. :)

Edit:
hailrazer said:
2. It is a power filter cap. If you remove it you will get very slight wavy lines on the screen. Tested on over a dozen Zenith screens.
Anywho, more info on bypass caps at this place:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decoupling_capacitor

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that black thing in the upper left is an inductor and part of the backlight circuit (referencing Kyo's cutting guide:
http://kyorune.com/modding/article.php?id=57) so you really don't need it either with the LED mod.

Back