Zack's NEW Gamecube Portable Worklog

Blargaman91 said:
But... but now you can't run and spray in Sunshine! A travesty, it is.
Alas, I will just have to deal with that. But that's why the option for external controllers come in handy. :mrgreen:

I got the A, B, X, Y, and Start buttons officially mounted, wired, and complete, as well as the C-stick. Now I'm working on the analog stick and then the D-pad. After that, my GCP is more or less complete!! (I might still add batteries soon)

Edit - Here's a pic. I also forgot to mention that the Z button is added as well. It's just a small tact switch, but I at least painted it purple for extra fancification.
wyqj.jpg

Got the analog stick mounted in and finalized too. I'm making progress faster than anyone is replying :lol:

Loving the awesome progress, zack! :awesome:
I've been watching your topic and your leastest video logs, and it's looking fantastic :)
The inside of the portable is so well organized and such, and it works great from the videos.

Also, you menchioned about maybe adding batteries in your GCp,
While it seems a good idea, optional through, if the batteries prove to be a hustle, then don't use them as they can malfunction or cause headaches ( from not working properly) and errors etc

Wallpower is good, if batts prove to not work etc.

Plus they cost a bit more than everything else in a gamecube portable.

I love the layout for the ABYX button setup with tacts and such, works great huh?
Also, volume numb is super like a big gamecube start button?

Also, how is gamecube games compatablty on swiss? Do most games play fine or some have issues?

I think I'm going to skip internal batteries for now, and make an external pack. Since I've never had experience in wiring up my own batteries, I wouldn't want to risk damaging a perfectly good portable by adding something that isn't necessary. It's amazing I was able to finish this GCP, and going back to mess with something like the power would probably be a bad idea.

Anyways yeah, buttons are all working great, although they're slightly loose, they feel good to press.

The volume knob I might be replacing soon with something flatter, and with more ribs/grips.
Here's a 3D render just for fun.
d72g.png

So far I've had no problems with swiss, it's always booted up every game just fine.

The d-pad is done and my GCP is more or less complete. There's only a few details I have left to do, like labels/decals, replacing the volume knob, and making some accessories. I'm going to make an external battery pack as well as a stand for the console. But basically the main thing is done!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Also I ordered some batteries which may become either internal or external. We'll see.

zack said:
The d-pad is done and my GCP is more or less complete. There's only a few details I have left to do, like labels/decals, replacing the volume knob, and making some accessories. I'm going to make an external battery pack as well as a stand for the console. But basically the main thing is done!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Also I ordered some batteries which may become either internal or external. We'll see.

Awesome! Glad to hear the GCp is nearly done, that's sweet news, man

Also, if batts internal prove to be too much, then best leave them out or have as external
(Best keep the GCp working and such, now that it is done and fully works and such)

The video for this GCp will be awesome, good luck zack! Excited to see what the GCp will look like

Alright, I 3D printed another knob. We were out of grey filament though, so I printed in a bright green plastic. Not sure if I like it or not, it stands out a little more than it should. Also I repainted the screen border, so no more bare metal showing.
osv4.jpg

I'm definitely going to be careful with the internal batteries, and test them with something else besides my GCP first.
About the analog sticks, I mounted in all the buttons with a perfboard to support it (except the c-stick, which I kept on it's original board). I used some stacked pieces of acrylic plastic to support the perfboard, and hot glued it all in.

Also I'm thinking of a name for the GCP, and any suggestions are welcome. I was thinking something like the ZH-40 Portable Gamecube. Since I'm using a ZN-40 case, and since my initials are ZH.

So while my GCP is pretty much complete, I was holding off on putting a post in the Finished Projects board because I'm experimenting with batteries. Today I received a couple of cylindrical li-ion cells (and internal smart charger and protection circuit) that COULD fit inside, but I mostly just bought them for testing and a learning experience. This is because the batteries are 7.4v at 1400mAh, and as such have horrible battery life (About 15 minutes).
I may or may not include them inside the portable, but I suppose it's better than nothing. They could at least be functional for moving the system around without losing power.

The real battery pack would be some li-po packs that I ordered. On the way are 6x 3.7v 5000mah cells for a total of 11.1v at 10000mAh (as well as a smart charger and protection circuit). This will give me about 4 hours of battery life. I'll be building this as an external pack that can be plugged in to the gamecube's original 12v plug.

In short, once I figure out the internal battery situation, and once I get the li-po packs in the mail and build my external pack (which should be some time this week), then I can officially call my project complete.

ummm...
11.1v @ 10,000mA
??

that sounds not quite right...
unless my brain is farting and im not understanding how you plan to wire those batteries together..

i guess im just thinking about cell efficiency
its just a little bit unbalanced of a battery setup...

I ordered six 3.7v 5000mAh batteries. Three would be wired in series and 3 would be wired in parallel. Does that clear anything up?

zack said:
I ordered six 3.7v 5000mAh batteries. Three would be wired in series and 3 would be wired in parallel. Does that clear anything up?

glad i brain farted so i could ask how you plan to wire these up...
now that i know your plan, i would like you to reconsider based on the following information:

parallel : 3.7 + 3.7 + 3.7 = 3.7v @ 15,000mA
series : 3.7 + 3.7 + 3.7 = 11.1v @ 5,000mA

then what? wire those two strings together?
how? in series or parallel?

either way its a very bad idea....very bad idea
since both strings have a different voltage, a natural flow of current will travel from the larger voltage string to the smaller voltage string...

how much current?

current potential: 11.1v - 3.7v = 7.4v
7.4v is the amount of voltage difference between the two strings
this is dangerous because lets say each battery string has an internal impedance of .5ohm

I = E/R
I = 7.4v/.5 = 14.8w
I = 14.8w

thats 14.8w of natural flowing current from one string to the other string
you would need a resistor the size of long dong silver to dissipate that much current to keep the two strings safe from each other...

--------------------------------------------

...if i could suggest..
3 packs in series
3 packs in series
then two strings in parallel

parallel: 11.1v + 11.1v = 11.1v @ 10,000mA

megalomaniac said:
...if i could suggest..
3 packs in series
3 packs in series
then two strings in parallel

parallel: 11.1v + 11.1v = 11.1v @ 10,000mA
Pretty sure that's what he meant, it just wasn't worded clearly.

I would just seal it up without the crappy batteries. It seems like a good idea to have them, but they'll probably lead to more frustration than they're worth.

Ok, yeah, sorry for the confusion, but the way you recommended wiring them is how I've been planning to do it from the beginning. Three packs would be in series, another 3 would be in series, and all strung together in parallel. Or in other words, 3 packs of 2 in parallel, which are then wired in series.
Here's a diagram of how each cell connects to the protection circuit. And although they might not be labeled "COM", the 4 wires all go to a pad on the protection circuit.
yjya.jpg

Was this what you had in mind? Also here's the protection circuit I got https://www.all-battery.com/PCBfor11.1V ... 32071.aspx

that charge controller is for 3 cells...

did you plan to run dual strings with dual charge controllers in parallel and diode isolate the output from each controller to the regulator??

....and dont forget about the voltage drop across the diodes...

unless the charge controller can safely control 2 packs as 1 cell??

megalomaniac said:
that charge controller is for 3 cells...

did you plan to run dual strings with dual charge controllers in parallel and diode isolate the output from each controller to the regulator??

....and dont forget about the voltage drop across the diodes...

unless the charge controller can safely control 2 packs as 1 cell??

I was pretty sure that up to 3 cells wired in parallel act as a single cell when it comes to the protection circuit.

I saw your portable on Facebook, and I thought it looked great. Now that I've read your build log, I think it's fantastic! Your soldering and wiring gets cleaner with every update.

How did you go about getting the laser cut holes aligned so well on your case?

Thanks Brian. I'll take this as an opportunity to explain more about the case design. I measured out the controller buttons and screen and created the same sized shapes in Inkscape. The X and Y buttons I got from here http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Category:Controller_Buttons (But made some adjustments). For the analog controls, I used Inkscape's star and polygon tool to create rounded octagons.

I found a diagram of the ZN-40 on polycase's site and used the top down view as a template (The red lines pictured). It made it easy to visualize the final result. I cut a ZN-45 case first, but later made some changes, like the screen size and adding speaker grills, then cut another case. It still wasn't quite right, so I would make more changes, cut out a test on a sheet of acrylic, then repeat, until I finally cut a fresh case with a finalized design.
The current design can be found here https://www.mediafire.com/?acofhkh27x4132i. If anyone has use for the SVG file, feel free to use parts of it for your own project. Also, as I mentioned before, blue lines represent engraving while black lines represent cuts.

o2re.png

Back