Zack's NEW Gamecube Portable Worklog

Got a couple of 3rd party controllers in the mail. They're cheap and I don't feel so bad hacking them up to put in my GCP. I think the heart of the board will work just as well, plus the traces are visible which should make trimming and relocating easier. I'm figuring that out next...
r79u.jpg

Also, I got my custom regulator mounted on the board and the wires shortened up and finalized. You can see that inside there
fu10.jpg

Diminuendo said:
I die a little inside every time I see an exposed tact switch on an otherwise beautiful portable
Don't worry, that's temporary. This isn't even the final case I'm using.

Working a bit more on the case design. I'm gonna laser-cut this soon, I just need an extra ZN-40 case first.
eipd.jpg

Red lines: Case guideline
Blue lines: Engraved areas or decals
Black lines: Cuts

Also looking for fans, I'm trying to find one that fits on the side panel (top edge) of my GCP, which is a pretty small area. Found these on digikey: http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DKSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&itemSeq=135068382&uq=635126554807653926
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DKSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&itemSeq=135062188&uq=635126554807653926

Anyone have any fan suggestions, like where to buy or find small (cheap) fans?

Got my 3mm white LEDs in the mail. I'm working on the LED mod for the PS1 screen right now.

Working on the LED mod. In an attempt to get rid of harsh direct light, I've added a bit of permanent marker to one side of the LED. This seems to reduce the harshness of bright spots on the corners without completely blocking the light.
7xta.jpg

However my screen isn't crazy bright. Now I know the LED mod makes the screen darker but I think it's a bit too dark. I'll be adding another LED and also performing the mod mentioned here: http://kyorune.com/modding/article.php?id=85

If I don't get satisfactory results, I think I'm just gonna go with a different screen. I have this 5" TFT Innolux 640x480 screen that I got from ebay. I'm about 70% sure that I'm going to end up using it instead.
62sh.jpg

I'm getting no video output from my gamecube. Damnit not again. I haven't even changed anything since I last tested it.

Why me. :cry4:

Anyone have any ideas on why the gamecube's video signal might go out? It was last working with the video port still attached and using an official gamecube AV cable. Since then, the only changes I've made are removing the port and relocating the custom reg with shorter wires and gluing it to the board. It's been a little while since I tested the gamecube with video but now it's simply not working. Also I tested the gamecube with a disc drive and the light from the xeno gc will light up red, but the disc drive is otherwise unresponsive.
When powering on the gamecube, the only thing that seems to happen is the chips/heatsink gets warm and the power LED lights up.
Any help?

Anyone?

I tried wiring up a nice fat ground wire from the ground of the gamecube to the main ground of my power source. Did nothing. I know for certain my wiring for the AV port is correct. Also I tested the 3.3v line and in getting around 4.5v. I noticed the power from my regulator is a bit high lately, for all voltage lines. Could it just have fried the motherboard from too much voltage?

Edit: Here's a pic
cfde.jpg

public-pervert said:
4v5 is too much voltage for that line. You may have damaged your motherboard. Easily.
I guess I'll have to try again, and build another custom reg if this one is outputting incorrectly. Shouldn't be a major setback since I already figured out most of my design - and I have an extra GameCube to spare. Still though.. To be on my fifth motherboard is kinda sad.

Went to the lab today. Took apart another gamecube, tested it out and removed a couple ports. So far so good.

Zack, buddy, pal, compadre, amigo, friend, kiddo,

I’ve met flax problem after flax problem almost every time.
One step up and immediatly 3 steps down again.
So don't worry, stay paitiend and all will be fine.

I'm on my 7th mobo right now! So don't feel bad.

Keep up the good work and good luck.

Back