"X-top" 360 Laptop Finished!

TheTwoJ

*Here she is in all her glory:

It all started when my close friend posted a picture of one of Ben's laptop's on my Facebook wall with the caption, and I quote, "Build one of these. I'll help."

That's exactly what we did.

Neither of us had ever touched a soldering iron, we had literally no tools outside of a hammer and a screwdriver to begin with, but we did have a super sketchy circa 1860's shed to turn into our work station. That, along with our unbridled determination, proved to be just what we needed. Two thousand dollars and over 650 man-hours later, we were finally done. I hope you enjoy the finished product! :D

For those of you that are interested in the "HOW U DO DAT" of the project, I have a treat for you. I do believe I have compiled the most comprehensive 360 laptop work-blog ever, which you can find at http://www.360laptop.blogspot.com, from the very first time we picked up a soldering iron to the final product and every step and frustration along the way is dictated via text and pictures on that blog. I hope that our struggles and victories can come in handy for others that are looking to do something similar!

Alright, time for the details. What the Heck is this thing anyway?
-Brand new Xbox Elite Jasper (we have receipts and boxes for most everything to prove our claims)
-Wireless Network Adapter
-Gateway 1775W 17" Widescreen (DVI input from the HDMI port on the 360)
-Audio board from desktop speakers wired to two low-profile speakers
-Completely custom hand-built case, no CNC or lasers here! :lol:
-Small USB keyboard
-Xbox Live Camera
-VGA output option with selector switch
-Modified 12.1A power supply to power the entire beast with one simple cord
-120GB built-in harddrive with 12 months of Gold Live, add SillyDingo!

Alright enough with the specifics, here's what you really want to see ;)

Pictures of the innards and all that good stuff are all over the blog, so make sure to check that out too! I hope you've enjoyed the project as much as we have :D

Happy modding!
-TheTwoJ

I refreshed your blog 5 times a day for a least a month. Congratulations! This is my favorite 360 laptop of all time. I do believe it's also the thinnest.

Wow, wonderful job. I've never heard of someone's first project being a 360 laptop and actually working out good and looking this awesome! NICE.

Hey, nice job on this laptop, how much do you want to sell it for? You should put up a FS thread in the trade section.

Wow, fantastic job! This laptop is amazing, especially considering you had no electronics experience before starting on it.

Best project I've seen in a very long time. I hope you remain a member of our community so you can bring many more badass project such as this to us in the future. :D

This is amazing, there are very, very few people that have actually finished one of these. It is really hard to believe that you did this as your first project, it really goes to show what hard work and research can do. :awesome: Do you have any plans for future projects?

Fired you a PM regarding selling it, BTW.

That is amazing. Tomorrow, when I have time, I'll start reading your workblog.

Heck of a first post there! Welcome to the forums.

This is amazing, great work! I can't believe how nice that turned out for a first time project.

Oh aaaaandddd...

Adding to the Xbox megasticky.

Re: "X-top" 360 Laptop Finished! On Ebay!

$2000 bucks? You must be very, very persistent. If you're able to make one of them, then you're probably able to do any other projects like this that interest to you. Good luck in selling, and welcome to the forums.

Thanks for the kind words everyone! It's definitely nice to have something that took so much work be well received :)

I did see it go up on Hack-A-Day and Technabob as well, definitely cool to see it circulating around. Hats off to you for that Palmer!

snowpenguin said:
Aaaaaaaaannnnd it got engadgeted, via hackaday, with benheck links. :wtf:

I hate it when that happens. Only to be expected, but I still don't like it.

Better than linking lots of mega noobs here.

No it's not.

Mega noobs = traffic

Traffic=profit from ads

Profit=mr store

WIN

Same with Giz. Remember, Engadget is very, very favorable to Ben, he was a guest editor multiple times, and has written tons of articles for them. Once they link up, all the other gadget blogs follow their lead.

That is not the point, though, the important thing is that he is getting traffic to his eBay auction to help with his student loans, and that he gets the recognition he deserves. :) I am going to point some people I know who may be interested in the laptop to that auction, y'all should do the same.

Back on topic, no more of this pointless hating on gadget blogs. ;)

Back