Wireless Lag Switch

DcMc

So I've been reading about lag switches and how they work, and I thought they might be fun to use, but super annoying to reach down, flip a switch, get a kill, and flip the switch back on. So I decided I was going to improve on this design by making it wireless. I dont have pics yet, but so far I have mounted a pushbutton switch on the bottom of my xbox controller, (a gc power switch to be exact) and mounted a transmitter for a small rc car on the back of the controller. The switch is connected to the forward button on the transmitter, and on the receiver, I am going to hook a relay up to the motor power lines and the other side of the relay to the Ethernet cable. The transmitter is powered by the controller batteries.

Thoughts?

I DO NOT CONDONE OR SUPPORT CHEATING. THIS PROJECT IS SOLELY FOR THE PURPOSE OF BUILDING A WIRELESS LAG SWITCH. DONT CHEAT.

Thoughts? This is the stupidest idea ever and it makes me want to punch you. People who use lag switches are dicks.

A lag switch is a client-side switch that creates artificial lag server side. It does this by adding delays in between packet sending sessions.

It is pretty much a way to cheat in online games, so that the one that is using the switch does not experience any lag while every other player does. This allows for easy kills because often times players are frozen in place, and if not, at least disoriented.

It's cheating, and it sucks for anyone who plays with you. I agree with everyone else here: you shouldn't build it or ever use one.

It works in more games than you think, mainly console games because they usually rely on other peers to host the game. It also means this won't work if you aren't hosting.

Its also overly abused and ruins the game for everyone, just so you can boost your meaningless stats. Also, a lot of games nowadays are able to detect frequent dropped/interrupted connections and will silently ban you from ever being host. This can only hurt yourself and others, so don't be a dick by using one.

I think y'all need to lighten the *Can'tSayThisOnTV* up and be considerate, hm?

The guy is new here, he's being very nice so far.
DcMc said:
I DO NOT CONDONE OR SUPPORT CHEATING. THIS PROJECT IS SOLELY FOR THE PURPOSE OF BUILDING A WIRELESS LAG SWITCH. DONT CHEAT.
Why not give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he's being honest.

Lighten up, god Dang do you look like assholes right now.

True, we do, but I don't see why on earth he would want to make one unless it's to cheat.

DcMc said:
I thought they might be fun to use, but super annoying to reach down, flip a switch, get a kill, and flip the switch back on.

Why would he want one but to cheat?

That disclaimer just seems like the "this is for informational purposes only" type to me. Obviously it's not only for informational purposes, but since it's of questionable morality, they put that disclaimer so they won't get in trouble.

Zero said:
It works in more games than you think, mainly console games because they usually rely on other peers to host the game. It also means this won't work if you aren't hosting.

Ah, that explains a lot. I game almost entirely PC, and we roll almost solely with dedicated servers.

Maybe he just wants to do it for the lulz, maybe for a friend?

This thread isn't for bashing lag switches. I'm doing this project for fun, not to be a douche on xbox live.

Back